Clients not showing in the RAC

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by Dallas186, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dallas186

Dallas186 Registered Member

Hi,

I have just started as a sys admin for a company and have inherited ESET from the previous admin, I'm used to McAfee EPO so this is a little different to say the least.

As part of a complete estate review I noticed that a whole chunk of client machines are missing from the RAC, so I am concerned as they have not had the client pushed to them so on face value have no protection whatsoever, thinking this would be easy I decided to push the client to these missing machines but whilst I can push install just fine, I managed it no probs on my own new Win7 machine, the machines without AV just don't appear in the RAC clients list at all! We have plenty of spare licences, as more licences were bought than needed (amazing), the firewall on local machines is disabled by group policy so I am mystified.

Is there a way to run a network discovery of all client machines hoping that once discovered i can then push the client out remotely?

Whilst I could if need be remote onto all the machines in turn (about 170 ish) and install manually but that's really a last resort.

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Rich

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are those computers in AD?

3. Dallas186

Hi Marcos,

Yes, Iv'e just checked a slack handful of those machines in AD and they look absolutely fine, all up to SP3 and reported in correctly.

Is it worth, on the basis that it's not possbile to do a discovery to propogate the RAC (I am making that assumption of cource) to push out the client MSI with group policy to the affected machines?

thought please.

Rich

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are those computers visible within Active Directory Explorer ?

As for your query, yes, it's possible to push an msi package to clients via group policy. There's a KB article describing this process.

5. Dallas186

Hi Marcos,

Apologies was out of the office yesterday.

Yes, they appear in Active Directory Explorer, I'd had a similar thought and checked in ADSI previously. Looks like i'm pushing the client out then :)

I'll create a quich GPO and link it to the target machines by security group so as not to capture unaffected machines. I had the vague thought whist driving yesterday that it may be a slow link issue but whilst some of the machines are on remote sites others that are affected are local to the ESET server so that rules that out.

I may try dropping one of the locally affected machines off of the domain and re-adding it just out of curiosity. Do you know how often ESET polls the LAN to discover newly added machines?

I'll let you know what happens

cheers

Rich

6. yadnom

yadnom Registered Member

I'm looking for an answer to this as well. When I add new machines to the domain, sometimes it takes them 10 minutes to show up in the computers tab in the RAC, sometimes it takes much longer. I have had an instance where it took a couple of days.

I just added a new PC to the domain, it has been over 30 minutes and the PC still is not listed.

The PC shows up in AD explorer.

Would love to have an easy option to push an install to machine name or IP without waiting to have it discovered first. This used to be possible with the old RAC. I don't see an option to do this anymore.

7. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.