Client Not Updating Version From Mirror

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by alphadog, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphadog

alphadog Registered Member

I have a dozen clients installed and I have them pointed to an in-house mirror for updates. I installed from a SS Business Edition v3.0.566 installer, not the most up-to-date v3.0.650, thinking that the mirror would download the new version and the clients would update themselves from the mirror. They were installed from the console, using a package that had settings for pointing them to the mirror. They had no settings to update from ESET.

They all seem (as reported by the console app) to be updating their AV database just fine. However, the client are reporting that they are at v3.0.566.

What steps do I take to verify that I don't have something wrong somewhere. I assume that basic settings are good since they are downloading av defs.

Thanks.

2. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

you did nothing wrong,

at the moment, eset did provide PCU's for version 3.

3. alphadog

I'm afraid I don't understand. What are PCUs and how does that affect my problem?

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

program component updates.

ie, you can't get the clients to update to the latest version UNLESS - you make an install package and push it.

5. alphadog

Really? That's terribly inconvenient.

Just to make sure I am clear: If I push a BE client package with settings (under update module) that point to the ESET servers, the client will update database and components. But, if I have a mirror and point the clients to the mirror, I can only update the database?

Why bother with a mirror? o_O

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can wait until a program component update is available. If you want to upgrade the clients immediately, perform a push installation of the latest version using ERA, or install it manually over the older version.

7. alphadog

Uhm. A little less confused.

So, what people are saying is that right now I can manually download 650 and manually or push install it, but Eset currently only makes available the 566 PCUs?

8. alphadog

Is the above statement correct?

If so, is there a lag between PCU availability and general download availability? What is that lag time?

9. Marcos

Program component updates are released about twice a year, after the installers have been out for a longer time so that there's a chance to fix any bugs or issues that may be encountered by users before an automatic program update is provided to all users around the world.

10. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

wow, after a day of thinking I was going crazy and not being able to contact NOD support on phone, I now know whats going on.

The installed ERA and ERAC i had was a few months old, i just downloaded the new ones, so hopefully this should fix it yeah if i install them and push a new package?

Coz my clients could not update at all.

thanks.

EDIT: My bad, i came across this thread via search, and i'm using NOD32 V2.7, not ESS. But still having update problems, trying to sort it with Australia support via email at the moment.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  11. manney

manney Registered Member

Is there a way to push out the latest program components, without sending a config file ??

The reason I ask is that i have a site with machines installed with nod v3.0.621 and different config files eg v3WorkstationStatandard(updates from mirror), v3WorkstationRemote(updates from eset), v3ServerDC(updates from mirror+domain controller excludes), etc depending on the role of the machine

So is there a way to push out 3.0.657 and not overwrite the settings on the local machines?

12. Marcos

If you do not select/create a configuration file and simply perform a "push" installation, the clients should get upgraded to the new version with the configuration preserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.