ClearType Off - Intrusion Warner - GUI

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi there,

i installed ESS some hours ago and for myself its a little bit dichotomous impression. The GUI is a kind of disappointing when I compare it with Kaspersky.

The two most important things for me:

Can I putt off anywhere that clear type of the main windows ?

And does ESS have any kind of intrusion protection / proactive security like Kaspersky (not just that detection of applications-modification)?

Very annoying too that I can change the rules only in the special menus and not already via clicking in the status field with the showed ruleset. It would far easier to click direct on a rule and to come direct in the edit folder.

But if there should really be no possibility to put off that annoying clear type and if there is no intrusion protection then it would be no alternative to Kaspersky :(

All the other things are quite ok... but named things above are very important for me. And these advanced menus are far better solved in Kasperskys products and easier and quicker to navigate.

Sorry for comparing so much with Kaspersky but thats my absolute Nr.1 at the moment in usability, security, gui and I measure ESS with that.

EDIT: Just see that Miranda doesn't work even though all traffic and all ports in and out are allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

if you mean HIPS then no ESS doesnt have that. :D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

:oops: :ouch: :gack: :isay: :'( :mad: :(

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Both , but not the same as Kaspersky , and better IMO .

Intrusion Protection = The firewall and the Intrusion Detection System
    Proactive Security = Advanced Heuristics (Emulation)

More about Advanced heuristics here and pages 2-6 here

5. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Peope seem to forget that Eset build according to the widely accepted best approach to AV / Internet Security - that is a blend of signatures / heuristics. Kaspersky is still well behind in the heuristics field. I see KAV is a sort of 'advanced Avast'...

Bottom line - whatever the UI looks like, the underlying technology in Eset products is still best in class.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

but its still absolutely shocking me why they have such a terrible GUI ...

Where do I find that Intrusion Protection? Isnt it the standard configuration activated? At least it does not inform me about any access.

7. MNKid

MNKid Registered Member

hmm... I like it. But then, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I just want the thing to work. I really don't care how pretty it is. GUI is about the last measure I use to evaluate any software. But for some that is more important.

Whatever stirs your drink ;)

MNKid

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is in the firewall setup . By default , active , of course .
    If you use Automatic mode , then , yes ... test it with pcflank.com , if you want :thumb:

9. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Agreed, ESS has a pretty crappy UI. I am actually very surprised its that bad given that its designed from the ground up. Although I have to admit, its better than 2.7, gone are all the AMON, RMON, BMON, ComeON.

10. mil3s

mil3s Registered Member

I think the GUI is an improvement over NOD32 standalone. And as for Clear Type, it's a matter of opinion I guess but if you ask me it should always be on. But if it's turned off in Windows, applications should respect this setting.

Lastly. If you think Kapersky is so much better than ESS, use it. This is Esets first try at a security suite. I have no doubt they will improve it in future versions.

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

You are probably correct in terms of KIS 6 but the latest version of KIS that is currently in beta testing has an advanced heuristics engine/emulator that will bring it on a par with Eset's offering..if you assume that Eset was best in class. So the difference there is narrowing fast.

Both are excellent products and each has its fans/following. It is good that there is such choice in the market place.:D

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Making up an emulator like Advanced heuristics is extremly difficult. If it was that easy, every AV would already have such.

13. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

That is true I believe but Kaspersky have and it is being beta tested at present. Results are very encouraging.

As I said before it is good to have choice, and I am sure that Eset will quickly move forward in developing their suite to a point where it will rival KIS and ZASS.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.