Clearing backup drive for a restart

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DerekShaw, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekShaw

DerekShaw Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image 10 for selective incremental backups to an external hard disk (starting from an initial full backup of these selected folders).

I would now like to make a fresh start. That is, to clear all files on the external drive, make a new initial backup of the same selected folders, and then continue with daily scheduled incremental backups of these folders again as before. In other words I would like to do backups starting all over again with the external hard drive empty as originally, preferably without having to go through the process of setting up these backup tasks in Acronis again.

What procedure should I use for this? Do I have to remove the existing backups using Acronis? If so, then how?
    Or can I just delete all the files on the backup drive using My Computer or Windows Explorer and the re-run the existing backup task(s) from Acronis?

Derek Shaw

2. como

como Registered Member

As long as you have not set up a secure zone on the external drive then TI files are just like any other you can cut, copy and paste or just delete them from Windows Explorer. If they are in a secure zone then you will have to delete them from within TI.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If I understand you correctly, all you need to do is just re-run the tasks (starting with the FULL) and TI will overwrite the existing backup files.
    Or, has suggested, just delete the files and start over.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, you can just delete them -- or you can create Backup Locations per the User Guide, and let ATI take care of automatically deleting Fulls and overwriting any orphaned incs or diffs.

5. DerekShaw

DerekShaw Registered Member

Thank you all for your help. I took a sort of half-way house approach.
    Using Windows Explorer I deleted all the backup files on my external hard drive except the original backup tib file which was only about 1.7 GByte and the acronis_backup_place.cfg file. I then manually ran the scheduled differential backup task from Acronis. This did not require any tasks to be redefined, took less than 10 minutes in total and the external drive is now almost empty once more.

Thanks again,
    Derek Shaw

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Just in case it has been overlooked, should your system drive fail and you want to restore to a new disk. You will need a disk image backup and a disk image includes all partitions (both hidden & diagnostic) on your system disk.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DerekShaw,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that acronis_backup_place.cfg file is required for proper functioning of Acronis Backup Location. It's not recommended to manually delete it, as it's only a part of Acronis Backup Location structure. The other part resides in Windows registry, and manually deleting only the file may confuse Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.