CleanSlate- any recent experiences

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

http://www.fortresgrand.com/products/cls/cls.htm

Any one tried it recently? Wonder how it can be compared to CTM or FDISR.

This version seems to have an added capability of stopping execution of new and unknown software as well( like Anti-Executable).

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yeah got it ages ago now because it can be used over the network.

You can block new programs, other programs, start up, removable media and network shares. It also has configs for registry, certain av, altiris svs and system restore already and support for imaging built in with options to edit. Its a very good, configurable and mature software.

screen...blocked out my information,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What about its snapshots? Are they like FDISR?

Thanks

4. Meriadoc

Mm maybe Clean Slate is a little different to what you think it is. Try it or look at the screen shots to get an idea.

I installed it on a server and workstation and used CS on the kids machines or for their friends, guests and family, but it will work just as well on one machine. Its forte would be in a school environment. Saying that CS will work well on one machine it just needs configuring to what you want it to do.

It can keep the machine to a baseline being configurable for file, registry and programs, so you could set up a commit file list and updates that sort of thing. It works on the premise that some users, programs such as admins, av, windows updates can change a system and some not but it is all configurable. It can be used to go back on reboot, logging off, after being idle for a time or other trigger.

I would compare it to ShadowDefender but with network support and much more ways to configure it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Good software to try indeed. I thought it can take multiple snapshots. I was wrong I think.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry to bump again. Is it true that CS can,t take mutiple snapshots like other rollback software or FDISR?

Thanks

7. Meriadoc

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot.

9. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

how good is clean slate against malware? If memory serves me right, their sandbox program wasn't that effective against malware compared to sandboxie. I doubt their light virtualization is any better. I tend to trust shadow defnder more due to the extensive testing wilders members have used it for; also because its used by the famous Peter1250 :D

If there is a knowledgeable user who has tried both CS and SD? an extensive comparison/contrast between the two is greatly appreciated as I might switch.

10. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

O one more thing I do understand that the purpose of the imaging programs is to take snapshots and preserve system state rather than explicitly function as a security barrier. So the question here is: Clean Slate a security program or just imaging like Rollback? -- how does it fair against the dog trojans?

11. Meriadoc

who? :p

I have both :-*
    tut, darn it!

12. Meriadoc

Clean Slate and ShadowDefender are similar softwares in that they both clear unwanted changes to the system.
    Where they differ is, with Central Control, Clean Slate can be managed over a network.
    CS has antiexe, can block programs, startups, media and shares.
    CS can handle saving by registry, file and folder.
    CS is update friendly and be configured for any program.

13. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

I am testing this now. The part which interests me the most, is better explained in the help file below:
    This is a huge feature missing from Shadow Defender.

14. Meriadoc

Indeed, it would be nice if SD went this way, CS is much more configurable.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Does Cleanslate use any kind of cache file. What I most like about SD is when off it has no file on the disk and yet when active it can shadow a 50g VM directory.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.