Cleaning up Norton Systemworks 2005 mess?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by richrf, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I went ahead and tried to install NSW 2005 Premier on my machine. All I really wanted was Ghost 2003 but I got a lot more than that. :doubt:

Anyways, the product toasted my registry after I tried to install and uninstall. The installation failed for some reason and Ghost was no where to be found. Uninstalling and attempting to re-install made matters worse. I was able to do a system restore which I think has left me in fairly decent shape, however, there are still lots of residual entries in the registry. I tried running symclean but it says everything has been removed. Hmmmmm .... this is one messed up company. I am glad I got rid of NAV before it was too late.

Anyways, has anyone come across a procedure to safely clean up after NSW 2005? I'm cross-posting on DSLreports to see if anyone has any ideas over there.

Thanks for any help. I'm going to try to purchase an older copy of Ghost 2003 that doesn't require Systemworks to be installed. I actually got Systemworks for free with all of the rebates and now I know why Norton is giving it away. Time to let their users figure out all of the problems with their products. What a mess.

Rich

2. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

well i had nis2004 until just last week when i upgraded to nis2005 and i have done numerous uninstalls and reinstalls cuz of os probs, which had nothing to do with nis. and i have never had a problem being able to delete the files off and get it to reinstall. there is a paticular way of doing it i had discovered that got rid of all of it and left no ill effects behind and then was no problem to reinstall it. now i know that the system works is a bit different and may not even work in the same way. but thats my experiences with nis 2004 and nis2005 anyways.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hit Scott,

I guess my problems began during the inital install when not all of the files seem to have beein installed properly. I tried to uniinstall, but some stuff must have been left behind because afterwards I could never get Ghost to install or to do a complete uninstall. I kept getting errors. The whole package is way to complicated and it seems like Symantec has not done a good job of ensuring there is a way to completely uninstall its packages. There are tons of stuff still in the registry - and probably lots more than I can detect. It is a very messy program and this is what is suppose to "protect" my machine. Kind of ironic I guess.

Rich

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Rich, ;)

This Symantec KB article will help you --> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ent&ExpandSection=4&Src=bar_sch_nam#_Section4

The DL LInks from that article: Make sure you read it first. 3 Steps ;)

1. To remove Norton SystemWorks from the registry

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/engli..._systemworks/ver8.0/updates/NSW2005_XP_V6.reg

2. Reinstall Windows Script 5.6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=en

3. Remove Norton SystemWorks files and folders
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

Steve

5. dog

dog Guest

Just to add ... make sure you back up your System State / registry ...

If you're using XP Home ... by default the backup utility isn't installed ... but is available on your XP disc.

To install it:

1. Load your XP installation CD into your CD drive
    2. After auto run starts ... Select Perform Additional Tasks
    3. Select Browser this CD
    4. Select the Value Add Folder
    5. Select MFST folder
    6. Select NTBACKUP folder
    7. Select NTBACKUP installer

Wizard Installs

Now to make a Backup of Registry and other System Files:

**note** In Home Ed. you can't backup directly to CDR ... Simply Backup to a specified folder making sure it's less the 650mb, and then copy it to CD.

1. Select - Start > ALl Prgms > Accessories > System Tools > Backup
    2. Select Advance mode on the wizard
    3. Click the backup tab
    4. Select System State in the left pane
    5. Select a folder using the browser botton at the bottom left of the utility and select save
    6. Click Start backup
    7. Click the Advance Button - check the box that say Verify data after backup & click OK
    8. Now click start backup.

Once it's done you can send the file to the CDRW and make a backup copy

M$ KB Articles if you need:

How to Install Backup from CD - XP Home Ed.
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;EN-US;302894

How to Use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in XP Home
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;EN-US;320820

An Error Message is displayed when you attempt to use the ASR wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;EN-US;302700

How to: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...;en-us;322756#2

HTH, ;)

Steve

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Steve,

These posts were a great help. I had already gone through the Symantec Knowledgebase and had performed these procedures that Symantec had recommended. None of it worked and there were lots of pieces of Symantec Systemsworks lying around gumming up the works. I had a pretty clean machine until Symantec came around and deposited their poop. :doubt: I can't believe this company is suppose to be protecting my machine. :rolleyes: Well, I got rid of it as much as I could and it seems the machine is running again so I am just holding my breath. :)

I followed the system backup procedures that you recommended. Thanks for leading me through the process. I have the backup now - and hopefully it is in decent shape. I really wish I had never gone near that Symantec CD - but I should have known better. There were enough warning signs on the different forums that I frequent and I should have known better. I am shipping it back and hopefully no one else uses it after me. Bad Karma you know. *puppy*

Thanks a lot.

Rich

7. dog

dog Guest

No trouble Rich. ;) Glad I could help. :)

I'm sorry NSW 2005 didn't workout for you ... Personally, I've got NSW Pro 2003 installed ... but I don't use it much, except Ghost, & Speed Disk ... & I'm gonna trial other products ... well, I'm starting with Diskeeper anyway ... then maybe if they do better it'll be gone as well.

Regards,

Steve

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Steve,

Really, all I want is Ghost, since I am looking for a simple image copy program to create an image before one of these "protection programs" zonks my machine again. ;) I've gone ahead and ordered a cheapo copy of Ghost and hopefully I will be able to install it and get a clean copy. All I need is one clean copy. Why can't I get it? :oops:

Have a great day!

Rich

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

NAV is pure crap. Course I've been very vocal about this junkware, but some people still want to checkout the content of that little yellow package.

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes, I have noticed many comments on many boards concerning Symantec's problems. I know, from past experience, "where there is smoke there is fire". All I really wanted was to try out Ghost 2003 and I figured that since the package was for free .. what the heck. As it turns out, it was way overpriced. :D Symantec didn't give me an option to install Ghost 2003 without a whole mess other problems, so at the end, the product almost trashed my system before I could get a could image copy. I was sweating buckets. I sure didn't want to start from scratch again. I've ordered a cheapo copy of Ghost 2003. I've heard very good things about it, so I am hoping.

Rich

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Watch out richrf, Symantec 2005 products have better uninstallers than any of there previous ones. Installing Ghost 2003 might make your condition worse(at least when you goto uninstall it).

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yikes! This is not what I wanted to hear. I wonder whether I can run Ghost from DOS without installing it? This really makes me yearn for the good ole days of DOS. What a simple life it was. :'(

Rich

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Have you tried Acronis True Image?

14. scott lang

as i said i have had nis2004 and just got nis2005 and i have had absolutely no probs in every uninstall of either and reinstall of either prg. and other than 2004 being a hog on resources 2005 seems to be better in that regard. i have had no probs with either prg. and as far as knocking on norton i can say the same bout most other av's paid or free alike. its not just one every av prg thats out there has some kinda flaw in them, yes even norton. but in my dealings with using norton stuff i have had no bad probs.

15. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Where did you get your wisdom about uninstalling Symantec products?

I got it from trying a lot of Symantec products, first, they have tried to mess up my systems, and second, after uninstalling them they left a lot of garbage, and to get complete rid of it wasn't easy at all.

Besides that, the support of Symantec isn't good at all, I have asked them some questions and I didn't get an answer at all, and when there was an answer it didn't solve the problem.

Oh yeah, finally I solved all problems, but without any help from Symantec.

Ciao,

Smokey

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

It's amazing - and incredibly ironic - that Symantec is selling a product that is suppose to protect you from these kind of problems - problems that they are the largest producer of. Life is so amazing. ;)

Rich

17. scott lang

all i can say is that norton has worked great for me, and i have had excellent help from them. when i ask a question i get a reply back. and i have had no probs uninstalling and reinstalling either nis 2004 or 2005. and it wasnt all that hard to do it either. after i let it uninstall i just ran searches for nav and nis whilst the view was set to see all, and when i found any i deleted them. also typed in %temp% and deleted all norton stuff there. thats all there is to it. then reinstall. whats so hard bout that? as i said before i know norton has got some probs here and there, but so does any other prg of its kind. maybe im just that 1 in a million users that have no real major issues with norton products, if so, then im lucky.

18. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Never under estimate the power of advertising!

19. scott lang

huh o_O o_O o_O o_O

20. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

By installing just about every NIS product that has been released in past 3-4 years. Lately I have installed NIS 2005 with InCtrl (install change logger) and created a file to manually remove everything it left behind, which was a lot. I was thinking about releasing this to the public, but I was stupid and accidentally deleted it... pretty much the same way you did ;)

21. Bob Bloch

Bob Bloch Registered Member

I recently installed NSW 2005 Premier hoping to use GHOST to backup HD. All functions except GHOST seem to work well (Win XP SP2). But when i try to launch GHOST from main menu msg "page cannot be displayed" appears. Nothing helpful in Symantec's KB.

Any ideas why would a web-page err appear launching GHOST Thanx.

Bob
    o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.