Cleaning up Docs & Settings' Application Data!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jo Ann, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Have you looked at your Documents And Settings\[User]\Application Data folder lately? Mine has lots of 'junk' folders/files from applications no longer on my system! Apparently, Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs hasn't removed traces of uninstalled programs as thoroughly as it should have. :eek:

Does anyone know of any software that can 'sweep' my system to discover and offer to remove all such garbage?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

funny you mention that i cleaned out that yesterday:D

if the program is no longer installed and the folders are empty then delete the folder
    lodore

3. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Ah, therein lies the problem... the folders are not empty and to make matters much more difficult, quite a few of those folders are not easily identifiable!

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

JoAnn, that's an age-old problem and it's not only those left-over files and folders in Docs & Settings, the very same issue exists within the Program Files folder itself. Quite often, you'll even find that the app's folder within Program Files and Program Files\Common Files are still left-over after removing the program.

The fault is really that of the app's developer who wrote a superficial uninstall program. You see, when you use Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs to uninstall an application, it simply runs that app's uninstall program.

I don't know of any software that can sweep your system (after the fact) and clean up this kind of garbage. However, you may want to look into 'Uninstall software' which can log every entry during an app's installation, and then retraces those steps when you use the software to remove the app. I'm not sure how 'perfect of a job' they do, but they have the right idea!

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

JoAnn,
    If you decide to use a software that is specialized in uninstalling softwares, you need a registry cleaner too in addition.
    When each software company would write a decent uninstall-program of their OWN software, all software folders and registry would be clean.

Norton is IMO the most ridiculous one, it offers special programs to uninstall their software, because their uninstall program doesn't do a good job either.
    Never create a second program to fix problems of the first program, always improve the first program.

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, even though no one had a 'magic fix'. Darn those sloppy application programmers!

A co-worker suggested I get jv16 Power Tools. He said that among its various tools is a Software Manager, which may be what I'm after. So if any of you have experience with this software, I'd like to hear from you. :doubt:

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

software uninstallers are good apps so it undoes all the changes.
    or even better still use rollback software such as firstdefence or create an image then install the software if you dont like restore the image.
    lodore

8. ErikAlbert

Rollback softwares are indeed the very best uninstallers (100%), but this applies only to NEW softwares.

Once a software is installed permanently and approved by you and you want to get rid of it much later, you will need a software like Total Uninstall + Registry Cleaner to remove that software. Rollback softwares won't help you in such situation.
    The registry cleaner is only needed, when Total Uninstall fails.

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Smarty does that job quite well for me. :thumb:

10. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi PvSurfer,

Just wondering does Smarty the same than Your Uninstaller (http://www.ursoftware.com/)???? If not, what's the differences?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

11. ErikAlbert

When I read that Smarty Uninstaller will use snapshots in the future, I don't think it is better than Total Uninstall now, which used snapshots already since I bought it one year ago.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is a pretty good program. They also make Regsupreme which is the only registry cleaner I trust.

13. ErikAlbert

This is what Fred Langa once wrote about JV16 PowerTools :
    Source : http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=8800348&pgno=3&queryText=

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.