Cleaning the keyboard!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You're most welcome ! If you mean MVPS Hosts, it was last updated November 23.

Regards,

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There's a tool specifically designed for that task:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...PT50_1?ie=UTF8&m=AH6HTU2WBPT50&n=&s=&v=glance

For any stubborn deposits a cotton bud dipped in Isopropyl will do the trick.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I would recommend Ethanol over Isoproyl since it's less agressive in these sorts of uses :)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Don't use any cleaners containing ammonia or alcohol. Ammonia will fog certain plastics and alcohol can damage plastics by smearing the finish.

I speak from unfortunate personal experience. :D

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I take a different approach. I buy 9 dollar keyboards and replace once few years. I normally wash hands before using the keyboard and tend not to eat around them, so they are normally fairly clean.
    Mrk

6. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Lemon juice is what some companies use to wash their circuit boards at the end of the production line. Touted as a biodegradable alternative to solvents like benzene or xylene.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I've lost count at the amount of times i've used hot water with a little washing up liquid & a light scrubber to remove marks/stains etc, & generally clean KB's over the years.

After shaking as much water out in all directions, i then use a hair dryer to slowly but constantly move it all over & under the KB, & inbetween all keys. I then leave them to dry for a few hours, & then they are as good as new :)

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's not lemon juice. It's orange oil. Art suppliers sell it. Consumer versions contain petroleum distillates, and are far more aggressive.

9. CLUELESS247

CLUELESS247 Registered Member

You can get some stuff called "cyber gel home & office" never used it but im considering getting some cos im sick of taking all the keys out,even worse sticking them back again lol

10. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No, a lemon juice solution was right. The citric acid cuts through dirt and skin oils but typically not plastic and resins used on circuit boards - and without leaving a residue. This would be similar to a couple tablespoons of white vinegar in a quart of water - used for centuries to clean glass without leaving streaks.

Orange oil is different - it an oil! It is used to dust furniture and treat wood and eat :eek: away adhesives. And it definitely leaves a residue - not good! You do NOT want to use an aggressive solvent on plastics and circuit boards.

11. mirimir

@Bill_Bright

OK, I see that citric acid is used in flux for soldering circuit boards. But I was referring to citrus terpenes that are used for degreasing and cleaning circuit boards, as a replacement for CFCs. In pure form, citrus terpenes are functionally similar to turpentine, and they smell good.

12. Bill_Bright

Terpene is still an oil-based product and therefore I do not recommend it be used on populated circuit boards or plastics (or monitor screens) for general cleaning. While true, as plant-oil based vs petroleum based it is not as corrosive as other products (lighter fluid for example), it still leaves a residue that does not quickly evaporate, nor is it absorbed by plastics (as might be by wood). In many cases, it requires a rinse.

So I would avoid terpenes too, except maybe if needed for extreme degreasing of case interiors - such as to use with a putty knife to scrape off years of cigarette tar mixed with cat dander hair and dander and dust that has been sucked inside some cases I have seen! o_O

And it's debatable if orange based cleaning products smell better than lemon based cleaning products. ;)

As for CFCs - they've mostly been banned and were used in refrigeration systems and more so as propellants in spray cans. So CFCs really have no bearing here.

Back to Endust for Electronics - great stuff as it is oil-free, wax-free and ammonia-free. And you can get it in pump sprayer.

13. mirimir

Well, I like lemon too. Both smell better than turpentine (pine terpenes).

CFC-113 was used for cleaning circuit boards. Please see -http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/icel/aq-semi.pdf for some ancient history.

14. Bill_Bright

Yeah, I know. I used to use it all the time when cleaning radios when I was in the military. But we had to stop using it because it would eat away and discolor some of the anti-corrosion coatings - which then let moisture and other contaminants in. So not good. Plus, there's the environmental thing. But I do note it was first used as a refrigerant - not a cleaner. But regardless, it is bad stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.