Cleaning Program Recommendation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, i was wondering if there was a program that could clean out my programs file as over the time of installing and uninstalling programs in some occasions the uninstalled program leaves the program file in C:program files, it usually contains some files inside (and on some occasions what look like system files) and when i try and deleate them manually messages come up saying they cant be deleated or are in use. So is there a program that can clean up my C:programs directry of all non existant program files as its getting rather messy.

Thanks.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

In my experience, only after you have just uninstalled a program are you told that you cannot remove the program folder.

Reboot, then you should now be able to delete.

If you are thinking of further Spring cleaning, good general cleaners that I use and recommend include;

1. Adios Cleaner;http://www.bykeyword.com/downloads/software-0/download-808.html
    2. CrapCleaner, http://www.ccleaner.com/

both of which are free ( Adios has a nag screen ).

3. Xen; http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/System_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/Xen.html

While a good registry cleaner is RegSupreme; http://www.macecraft.com/

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Thanks for those suggestions, can i ask though do you know of any full retail software that will do this (clean rubbish and unneaded files). As i will trust them to do the job better than free or shareware software.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Some of the worlds best software is FREE, such as Javacools programs SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster. You can see from my setup below that most of the programs I use are FREE.

CrapCleaner is really good.

A very good registry cleaner is RegSeeker 1.35 - it has been in Beta forever, though I have never had a problem with it.

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Anthony,

Okay, I agree that with some software, for example AV programs, that the commercial version is better than the free one.

However, there are many examples of freeware programs which are as good if not better than their commercial brethren.

Save your money and have a try of the free cleaner programs I listed.They are very good at their job.
    Why? There are many examples of excellent freeware and particularly, shareware programs.

Further, if you disregard freeware AND shareware and rely on retail versions you will find that your software collection becomes very expensive. One of the advantages and joys of the Internet is to find alternatives (legal) to the very expensive retail software.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  6. Commonsense

Commonsense Guest

It seems to me that security software that involve constant updating and time to maintain are likely to be areas where freeware is not able to keep up with commercials.

Normally this means that software like scanners (AVs, ATS etc) that require constant signature database updates would be perhaps areas where you might consider a commerical solution.

But then again, for such ventures you seldom sure of a completely freeware product, most often the freeware solution is that a "Home edition" that's free-riding on it's pro brother.

There are exceptions for example ,Spybot S&D and Clam AV.

On the other hand, security software that require less updating cleaners, popup blockers , maybe even firewalls, might be a good place to hunt for freeware.

Still, if you want to go completely freeware, you can be very very secure, if you know where to look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.