Cleaning out rubbish

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

There are many cleaners on the market that appear very efficient in sifting out all the rubbish and redundant files and records on our computers. Huge lists of registry, directories, files and left-over records etc. are produced which in theory can be deleted to make our computers ultra-efficient and Cyber-Olympic fit.

I have never taken the bait on these stimulating and attractive prospects.

I have had CCleaner for many years, but only use it for "pickings" where I know the listed data is definitely rubbish. It does produce huge lists of data that is said to be rubbish. I do not like to think that all this unwanted mess is on my computer, but I dare not press the button and delete it.

The feeling of being lead across a mine-field by a blind man will not leave me.

OK, we back it up, then delete it all, sounds fine, but what if the result is a mass of malfunctions where nothing works properly ? Do we then restore it all back ? If so, then not a lot has been achieved has it ?

Question for any veterans of this topic :-

How can we trust the output of these cleaner programs and take advantage of their rubbish identification without wrecking our obese but perfectly working computer ?

John Bull

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

THE SLOWEST MOVERS LIVE LONGEST? Fine, as long as quality hasn't been sacrificed.
    Where trust's concerned, quit drolling, forget the hype and concentrate on being productive!

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

CCleaner is a safe app. Its not as aggressive as other cleaners like KCleaner or other CCleaner knock offs. Its definately not more aggressive than the favorite JV16 Power Tools or the Wise brand of cleaners.

4. GlobalForce

"The key to system stability is to be very selective with what you put in the PC. More software translate to more problem you may encounter down the road. There are NO perfect software. You want to put together an assortment of proggies that will get along with each other. Keep the number of startup items to a minimum."

nod32_9

No doubt - figure what you need and get on with it!

5. John Bull

I am very grateful for your response to my question, extremely informative.
    Do you really think your own comment is PRODUCTIVE ? I have the distinct literary impression that it is quite the opposite.

By the way almost all the worlds SLOWEST MOVERS possess enormous quality and comprise some of Planet Earth`s most treasured life forms.
    Ah well, hopefully other posters will be more constructive.

John Bull

PS Sorry, but I could not find "drolling" in the English dictionary.

6. GlobalForce

How about that, <like diner an'a movie> sarcasm an'a diss - priceless. You're a :D gem John, trust on ....

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

you can trust it because we can easily verify that the rubbish data it identifies is indeed rubbish (by looking at what and where it found it). It automates what otherwise can be a series of manual actions to remove that same data.

8. John Bull

My sincere thanks Cudni and Whitedragon551. Although brief your replies are positive and give me confidence in CC. I may, dependent on other posts if they come in give it a selective swing.

The first post to my thread invoked the Wrath of God, but it was a genuine question and I am now getting the responsible replies expected.

Thank you
    John Bull

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Its always safe to have a backup image as well as a backup of the registry on a USB drive or something in the off chance that something does go wrong. However in my year or so with CCleaner Ive never had it cripple my system. Its always a good idea to run over the list and check things out. If you dont know what something is google it.

10. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

CCleaner is the only app (except IObit :rolleyes: ) that has messed me up in this regard. Many people like it, it just doesn't like my PC.

11. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

TuneUp Utilities 2010 is very safe.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I only use ccleaner for the temp file cleaning.
    I just wish companies would delete the temp extracted files after the program was installed.

13. John Bull

I like it - the ground rule of good design practice is to be cautious, otherwise it may just not fly or if it does, could get bent in the process.

Yes, programs that come in with a heap of attendant junk, should take it all out when the program is uninstalled, not left behind to clutter up peoples PC`s.
    The designers of software obviously have the requisite skills to insert their junk, but do not have a similar ability to remove it.

No definitive answer yet. Bit wobbly and Watasha even had a disaster using CC. My blind guide leading me through the mine field seems still to be in full employment. So my over-weight PC which is working fine, will have to puff and pant a little longer until a safe slimming pill is found.

John Bull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.