Cleaning a flash drive?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vincenzo, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I have some flash drives (USB memory sticks) that I want to be 100% sure are clean of malware. I know I can format them, but is there a boot sector on flash drives that would not be wiped when I format? If so, how do I completely clean that sector?

Thanks

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

3. vincenzo

OK thanks for that info and for the link.

Are there any boot disks that have the ability to format the flash drives, so I do not risk a Windows based virus having a chance to infect?

Thanks

4. vincenzo

Update: I formatted these flash drives using a boot disc for Gparted. Also, I think if there was a boot sector installed on any of these, it would have been indicated on Gparted.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi vincenzo,

Typically, Linux/Unix .ISO distributions boot up without installing on hard drives, and many have a Disk Utility, e.g. Ubuntu 10.10 which can null or insert an MBR, and separately allow formating of a partiion. Note, however, these operations do not wipe (clean) the falsh drive. For that, the Linux/Unix command "shred" should be able to do the job nicely.

-- Tom

6. vincenzo

Thanks, that's good to know. But for the purpose of making sure any virus threat is removed, a format should be good enough, correct?

7. lotuseclat79

Hi vincenzo,

I don't think that formatting a disk removes any contents in a file system, the remnants of which may remain in raw form on the disk after the reformat. If a format wiped the flash drive then yes, but I do not think that is what the formatting does afaik.

-- Tom

8. vincenzo

Yes, a virus file would still exists on a device after a format, but my understanding is that it cannot propagate itself or deliver its payload. If it could, then people would be needing to wipe hard drives instead of just formatting them when they re-install Windows after an infection.

9. lotuseclat79

Hi vincenzo,

It may (or amy not) depend on where on the flash drive the malware exists. For example, if it were located at the end, and a re-install of Windows does not overwrite that part of the flash drive - the question then would be would the malware be able to function if at all.

Worth a test to find out the answer (unless someone knows for sure).

-- Tom

10. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.