Cleaners ought to be clean (and clear) (Microsoft)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Kaspersky should read this, their cleaner does not display any details whatsoever unlike Baidu. But since it is version 1.0, it is forgivable. :D

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

my latest use of tuners/tweakers was XP ages ago. i tried same with my first steps on windows 7 - and messed it up completely - new from scratch. cleaners will find 99% the same crap - because windows do not allow to mess up with some files or settings. the cleanup tool in windows since win 7 has grown and it is doing a very well job. people think that cleaners will clean up their software tryouts - install, dont like, uninstall, clean up - BS. at least this is the time for tools like shadow defender or sandboxie, or virtual machine. just another myth.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I often use cleaning tools, and they can clean things not found by Disk Cleanup. It's important to use one which doesn't delete valid registry keys (or better yet, use only the disk cleanup function and not any included registry cleaner).

I use IObit Uninstaller to cleanup leftovers when I uninstall software. For the average user, cleaning up leftovers may not be that important. But I like to, as I install software every day.

5. Aura

Aura Registered Member

Isn't it free though? This article pretty much refers to "cleaner" programs that scans your system for things to clean, but ask you to buy it in order to perform the clean-up.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Total Uninstall, CCleaner Pro, and BleachBit for me. :thumb:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't see this as any more than Windows Defender detecting PUPs as usual...

Personally, I like to manually search the hard drive for leftovers and stuff (really quick with MFT search utilities like UltraSearch by JAM). But I do sometimes run CCleaner once a month or so. Soft Organizer is good as well if I want to completely get rid of something, including registry, and if imaging is incovnenient at that time.

I do use CCleaner and Bleachbit when compressing VDI files though. Them zeroing out free space after cleaning helps VBoxManage compress the VDIs more effectively.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Not just that, in order to mark a cleaner as reliable it has to show, what it does, some free cleaners install junk or simply destroy computers like IoBit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.