Clean uninstall TI v9.0 before installing v10.0?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LeeMit, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeMit

LeeMit Registered Member

I hope to uninstall TI v9.0 and then install the upgrade to v10.0. But I have read several threads in this forum that tell horror stories about Registry or other problems.

Is it sufficient for a clean uninstall of v9.0 to just use Control Panel>Add-Delete? And just go from there to installing v10.0?

If not, what else should I do? Please give me step-by-step. I am a beginner and I DO NOT KNOW how to edit my Registry. I am afraid to touch the Registry.

Maybe I should just keep using the v9.0 I have, and forget about upgrading to v10.0. [And ask Acronis to refund the fee I paid to download the .exe file for installing the v10.0?] What do you think?

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If ATI 9 is working fine, why upgrade yet? Does the new version recognise your hardware?
    Even after uninstalling via the Control panel, registry debris is left. Rather than manually editing the Registry, use a trial version of a good Registry Cleaner, such as RegSupreme. . But don't forget to take a backup of the Registry when it asks ;)
    The new version is still buggy but if it has extra features that you need and it works on your system then it maybe worth upgrading. Your call.

3. LeeMit

LeeMit Registered Member

Blackcat: Thank you much for your reply and advice. I think I will follow it! Wish Acronis would make a "clean uninstall" program to download and run to accopmplish a full and clean unininstall for TI9 and other versions!! I am really afraid to mess around with and edit Registry.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unfortunately, a lot of software, apart from Acronis, do not uninstall cleanly. But as mentioned before there are automatic, safe Registry cleaners you can use rather than manually editing the registry.

Acronis have posted instructions here for manually removing TI 9 from your system.

But as stated previously, I would wait until TI 10 matures before considering upgrading, particularly if version 9 works for you ;)

5. LeeMit

LeeMit Registered Member

Blackcat: Well, I bit the bullet, uninstalled TI9 using Add/Delete, deleted some remaining Acronis folders found by a search, then ran RegSupreme, tried to delete just some stuff by selecting and hitting Fix for several items showing in RegSupreme screen,---and then installed TI10. It seemed to work. I just hope no bugs in the future.

But I was overwhelmed by what came up as "problem" items in the RegSupreme screen. There were over 1300 items! I just selected and "fixed" a few which seemed to deal with Acronis. Question: If I re-run RegSupreme and get as many as 1300 or more Problem items, should I "select all", and then hit "Fix"? My computer is over 2 years old and lots of stuff has been put in and lots of files deleted. So I guess we should expect the Registry to have a lot of trash in it. But I am concerned that I will overload and make RegSupreme bomb out if I try to fix over 1300 items. What to do?
    Thanks for your help.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

A lot of items that reg-cleaners flag as probs aren't probs. Best to leave them alone unless you are sure that the entries can be safely deleted!

RE ATI 9, you can safely delete any registry entries with "Acronis" or Trueimage" in them if you have uninstalled ATI 9 and rebooted your PC. This usually isn't necessarry. Also, as you have done, after uninstalling ATI 9, delete the Acronis directory under Program Files and under Program Files\Common Files although the uninstall will usually get these.

good luck,
    sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.