Clarification

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mllopes, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mllopes

mllopes Registered Member

Hi i would like someone to explain me if when you turn your computer on the internet is already connected or instead you first completely turn on your computer and only after it is open then you also switch internet on.

Sorry if it is a dumb question but i would like to take that doubt of.

Thank you very much

Mário

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

that would depend.

for my connection i set the modem to always connect to the isp (sbc yahoo dsl). it doesnt matter if my computer is turned on or not.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have a shortcut icon on my desktop, created via Control Panel / Network Connection / Local Area Connection with the drag & drop function, to enable or disable my internet connection at any moment and it remembers the setting even when you reboot.

Disable internet costs me two mouse clicks.
    Enable internet costs me one mouse click.

In the past I could easily press a button on my modem, but the modem is now on the wall and I don't like to leave my chair to switch modem ON or OFF. It's a matter of convenience and lazyness.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

As soon as your network driver is initialized, the TCP/IP stack is running and you get an IP address from the DCHP service you are connected.
    You don't need to be logged in.
    If you had a home network you could browse the shared folders on the other computer that shows the welcome login screen.

Hope this answers your question?

5. mllopes

mllopes Registered Member

Thank you to all for your answers, but what i want to know is if there is any security risk to have internet already connected while my computer is turned on.
    Thank you

Mário

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes there is a minor security risk in that youre always connected, but u have a AV and router and/or firewall right?

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Once you are connected there is always a possible risk of being infected, but like WSFuser said a very small one, certainly when you don't do any on-line activity.
    If you leave your computer ON at night to do something that requires a long time, you better turn your internet connection OFF.
    The safest computer is still the one without internet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.