Clarification please: Imaging of hidden partitions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by louarnold, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. louarnold

louarnold Registered Member

I have several computers with hidden partitions that hold a factory "state" of the computer - the state when it was shipped.

Q1) Can I take an image of this partition (not the whole drive) and recovery its contents completely (data, boot info, etc)? For example: using Clonezilla or other imaging software?

Q2) After the image is taken, if I change the size and type of the partition - say from FAT32 to NTFS and from larger to smaller size, will the software restoring the image return the partition to its size and type before the image was taken?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I think there are no general answers. It depends on the imaging program and the way it is used to create and restore the image.

Partitions that contain a factory image are sensitive to any operation performed on the partition. They can easily become corrupted.

To backup the partition, it is better to “clone” it, copying it sector to sector. The size of the image will be the same as that of the partition. Also, the size and type of the partition should not be modified.

But of course the best thing to do is not to rely on these partitions and instead create other images using any of the “standard” imaging programs (Paragon, ShadowProtect, Macrium Reflect).

3. louarnold

louarnold Registered Member

This, I already know. I wanted info from those who tried this, so I won't have to rediscover what they already found out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.