Clam Win Portable AntiVirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EASTER, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As is widely accepted, most credible and popular AV solutions abound as an installed product complete with licensed policies as they should.

In and of themselves they are the common welcome premier choices for full AV/AS protection services and then some by virtue of many other integrated precautions, HIPS, Email protection, Site monitors, etc.

Out of pure curiosity a Google search returns a single "Free" Portable AV (Kaspersky notwithstanding) offer, and so i wonder how Clam measures up to the expected task of fanning thru with their AV scan as opposed to the commercial vendors when it comes to accurately enough producing acceptable trusted results.

I have never really gave ClamAV very much serious attention in the past nor do i even expect it now to provide the same useful results on the same level as the seasoned leaders in this field.

I would just like to take on some honest opinions as to members experience with ClamAV.

Thanks, EASTER

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello EASTER.

I haven't seen any recent tests of Clam AV but historically, it has perhaps the lowest detection rate I've read about- in the vicinity of 50%.

I've used it out of curiosity a few times but not recently.
    Based solely on the aforementioned test results, I just don't trust it to be up to the task.
    I wish I could be more definitive but what I've posted is all that I know about the application.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No problem.

I tried to delete this Thread but the forum workings doesn't offer that option unfortunately.

I ran a simple Clam Portable scan just now and let me tell you, it was far too brief as well as scrambled the dickens of my desktop. This portable so-called AV shouldn't even be server hosted IMO. It was a complete "dud" period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.