CHX-I & Ghostwall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bob D, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Brinn, when you reformat, put CHX on first, before anything else firewall-wise, so you can be sure there are no remnants from another program causing problems. If it doesn't work after that, then there is truly some kind of incompatibility going on there. In that case, you'll just have to go with what works...

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Have you checked under hidden system devices for any remnants of previous firewalls, most tend to leave behind entries, functional or non functional, they have a tendency to clash, as for using Ghost, thats your prerogative, but can't blame CHX if it doesn't run on your particular system,whatever the reason might be.

3. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I'm not blaming anything. I'm just saying it's not working on my comp. I'm hoping the problem will be fixed with a reformat. I really like what I see with CHX.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Brinn,

Can you tell me what you see in your CHX logs for now?

5. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Right now, CHX is uninstalled. I'm confident that CHX will work after the reformat. If not, I'll try to post logs then.

6. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Okay, I think I've figured it out. I looked over my logs and it seems that I needed to make a rule to deal with ARP traffic between my ethernet card and (I think) my cable modem. I hope that's what it is and that I'm not leaving a gaping hole in my rules.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Brinn, ARP is only needed if you are on wireless and for that, you need the CHX 3 beta, not the release 2.8 as it has no ARP support.

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

ARP is used (and required) on wired (Ethernet) networks also - it provides the IP-to-MAC address mapping necessary for running Internet Protocol over Ethernet.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Agreed, but I was under the impression that ARP protection is mostly needed on Wireless, even ZAP and other firewalls have ARP protection disabled by default.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Brinn,

did you tried the samples on the link that I suggested?

Try them...

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

LANs with untrusted users (e.g. university/workplace LANs) would benefit from ARP protection also, though it can cause problems for some situations so is best disabled by default.

12. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I've tried the ones you linked. I keep running into the same problem unless I specifically allow ARP traffic.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That samples already have the ARP rule...

14. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Hmm... the ARP rules I made have my specific MAC addresses. It's working fine so I don't see an urgent need to go back to recheck. This is one powerful program. I look forward to learning how to use it better.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yep, very good :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.