Chromium deleting downloaded exes?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

For a long time I've been experiencing this issue with Chromium - it downloads, but then before finally saving the file to the folder, it deletes the file. The info that was downloaded remains, but the file just disappears.

It only happens with *.exe files, AFAICT.

Unfortunately, I won't create a Gmail account (due to requiring phone number) to report this issue. :(

Has anyone ever experienced the same? This behavior doesn't happen in Google Chrome; at least, it didn't when I last tried it in my relative's system.

So far only found what could be a similar issue, but one that's suppose to have been fixed already -https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=126239

The build I'm using is pretty recent.

-edit-

On the other hand, it seems that one person reported (Aug 3, 2012) another issue happening in that same page. Safebrowsing is disabled here... so.. not so sure if it could be related...

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Creating a gmail account definitely does not require a phone number. You just hit skip.

3. m00nbl00d

Are you sure about that? The last time I checked (like a week ago), there was no skipping it?

Can you provide a screenshot? Just in case I missed some not so obvious option to skip it? (I'm not in a user account with access to Google services, and I can't log off now.)

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Weird. I made an insanitybit@gmail.com not long ago at all and I definitely didn't give it a number. Now it seems they do require it.

5. m00nbl00d

I tried to narrow things down. I installed the same Chromium build in a relative's system with the same settings, low integrity level, etc. I can download and save .exe files just fine.

I cannot save them in my system. I started with clean Chromium profiles, and I still cannot save the .exe files. o_O

Heck, I can't save the .exe files, even if I run Chromium with the default sandbox (medium - untrusted). o_O

I also started Chromium without any flags and outside of the incognito mode, and I still cannot save any .exe files. :ouch:

I'm 100% out of ideas as to what can be happening. Looking at chrome://net-internals, there's nothing that could point me in the right direction; according to it, the file is renamed to the its file name just fine, and should be in the Downloads folder. o_O

-edit-

I tried to "download" a local .exe file and Chromium saves it just fine. So, there's some issue happening with the .exe files that are downloaded from the Internet. So, this makes think it could be some issue with ADS?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I just tried to create an account and there was no problem when I left the mobile number empty. Do they have different rules for different countries?

7. m00nbl00d

I figured out my problem. It was in fact related to ADS... and what was preventing the .exe file from being saved was the little gem called 1806 trick. I forgot about it. I never had issues before with it. It must be due to the Untrusted label that renderer processes now have.

@ tomazyk

I'll try it again and see what happens... who knows. Sadly, having a Gmail account comes in hand to report Chromium issues. Why the heck did I delete my old Gmail account!! o_O

8. m00nbl00d

Funny... I have my browser set to English, and this meant that I was always lead to the English version of Gmail. It did flag my country always, though. But, I never noticed a box at the bottom of the page that woul allow to change the language of Gmail account creation page. I did it, and it didn't force to provide a phone number (the option was there, but I coul leave it empty).

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with change idioms, as I didn't test with English, but I wonder if they had a change of heart?

Anyway... now I have a Gmail account to report Chromium bugs. :argh:

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

M00NBL00D,

Do you have the 1806 setting on block or warn. I noticed that new Chromium when set 1806 to 3 (block) deletes executables. With default value warn (1806 =1) it will allow download.

Also noticed the new feature in Chromium
    "Send a do not track request with your browser traffic"

Together with the --no-referer switch this really adds some privacy benefits over chrome :thumb:

I also found switcher, it acts as extension manager and extension, skin, app Intrusion Detection (because of the installation/removal pop-ups it shows when adding skins/extentions/etc), see pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  10. Kees1958

It is also possible to mis-use the apps tab of the new tab for bookmarks.

1. Save a bookmark anywhere you like
    2. Copy it to bookmarks bar
    3. Drag bookmark to place on the applications page
    4. Delete bookmark from bookmarks bar

This way you can create your own bookmarks page simular to Opera :D

See pic

Attached Files:

11. m00nbl00d

I had it on block; but, I didn't bother checking the other settings, so thank you for letting me know that Warn allows downloading. :thumb:

Perfect would be a built-in adblock... :D

Will have to take a look. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

12. m00nbl00d

By the way, I also realized that the newest Chromium versions screwed up something that worked quite well for me. :(

As you know, I run Chromium with an explicit low integrity level. Because of this and the fact that %LocalAppData%\Temp has a medium integrity level, downloads would fail, unless I temporarily applied a low integrity level to %LocalAppData%\Temp. This no longer works, because Chromium seems to no longer interact with this folder. Now, files are downloaded... :ouch:

I'm going to need a different approach. lol

13. Kees1958

Sorry correct start command switch is --no-referrers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.