Chromium/Chrome - save extensions to file

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sully, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I was looking for a way to save some extensions to disc so I could take them with me to work on others computers, or just for having on hand for quick installs.

When using the google repository, I was always installing and did not see an option to save.

I found that if you navigate to the <chromium profile directory>\user data\temp, when you click "Install" on an extension it downloads the .crx file and also unpacks it. If you click yes to install, it does so then deletes the files. If you click no to install, it deletes these files.

If you click the initial install, then copy the temp directory, you get both the packed .crx file as well as the unpacked files. You can then drag and drop the .crx file onto chrome and install it, or you can use some of the advanced extensions options.

Maybe this is old news, but I didn't see it mentioned before. Either way, I would just as soon keep the extensions I use on file. They don't get updated that often anyway from what I have seen.

Sul.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why not just copy Extensions folder from your PC?

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Um...

Have you tried right-clicking the "Install" button and selecting "Save link as"?

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Oh, that is funny. ha ha :D Wouldn't that be an obvious thing to miss lol.

I did try that, along with every other usual method to save to disc. Do you have an option to save it on right click? I tried it in all browsers, but from the google repository it would give me no option to save, no matter what menu option or context menu I tried. I have never encountered this issue before, and it does it on both my home pc and my work pc.

Is that how you are able to do it?

Sul.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Mainly because I am helping more and more people I know use it, and it is nice to put a few good extensions on for them. I could I suppose, but would prefer to have the crx files themselves.

Sul.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Oddly enough, yes, that worked without any problems for me. I'd try a clean browser profile if I were you and see if that works.

I'm on 7.0.517.41, btw.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You were right, removing the profile and creating a new one did the trick. I was using version 8.0.551.0, but have used the profile with different builds. I unzip the build into %programfiles% but leave the profile. Now right clicking on the install button does let me save it.

All is well that ends well they say. Thanks.

Sul.

Edit: I had issues with this in other browsers too. I wonder what the deal is. I just replaced my kmeleon profile with a new one, and it also can save in that method. Too much to do to investigate right now, but it is pretty strange.

8. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be you have the option enabled to not ask for download location/ folder each time and that is doing this. Just a wild guess.

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, I do have that option on all browsers that can use it. Your wild guess might be correct, but usually it downloads to my chosen directory and does not run/execute by default. Care to expand on your wild and wooly theory? I'm listening.

Sul.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just a blind shot. U can try to enable this option to see if it happens again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.