Chromium 64bit has arrived

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JimboW, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

You can test the builds from here -http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?- they seem to be updated in conjunction with the 32bit builds. Looks like Chrome will be 64bit before we know it. Wonder what it will add to security.

2. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

Finally, now find out which one is the most recent build for us to download!

3. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

The one at the bottom. 210360 currently.

I tested it briefly, can't really tell a difference at the moment. All extensions worked. I am just wondering what it will bring to security. Surely stronger ASLR at the minimum.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Awsome! I was waiting for Chrome or FF to become 64 bit. With the FF developers stuck in their old ways it surely looks like I will be giving Chrome a try.

5. mlauzon

Is there a portable version, as I don't feel like installing it..?!

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It may not mean Chrome will go 64 bit yet, Chrome is a bit different. However, if this does mean we'll see Chrome 64 soonish, I don't see how Mozilla would want to stick to their "No 64" stance. That would be two important browsers that have gone to 64 (IE and Chrome), they'd be silly not to follow. Then again, that would be mostly a business thing since 64 bit does not mean "better" in every way.

7. mlauzon

Well, there are x64 versions of Firefox out there, just not done by Mozilla.

8. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Download the chrome-win32.zip

Mozilla does have it's own 64bit build but only in the nightly channel. You can get it here near the bottom of the page. -http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/-

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

yeah but isn't Chromium a developmental version of Chrome? As opposed to developmental versions of FF64 that are not going to become full versions.

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Chromium is Google's open source browser. Google Chrome is Google's proprietary browser.

Mozilla still hasn't released an official X 64 version of FF; the third party X 64 stable build is Cyberfox.

11. mlauzon

Actually, that is just one of them, the other two -- there may be more -- that I know of are:

Pale Moon (there are x32 builds of this as well):

http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-x64.shtml

Waterfox:

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

There was/is a x64 Opera version.

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

But was it ever "official"? From what I knew of it, it was a bit more developed than the one Mozilla was doing, but was about the same kind of deal, unofficial build.

14. Daveski17

I'm pretty sure it was an official release, I got it from the Opera site. It worked fine for me as a whole. In fact, I thought x64 browsing (for Windows) had finally arrived. I'm a bit ambivalent about x64 browsers at the moment. I am just back to using x86 one's. I don't have to worry about x64 flash or Java any more. I don't see the benefits to be honest, unless there are significant security advantages. There aren't any real speed boons as far as I can see.

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I was fairly certain it wasn't official, but it really doesn't matter all that much :) x64 has its benefits, but there is no real "night and day" difference, in browsers at least that I've ever seen. x64 Flash I've had issue after issue with. I can't say much about how Java is since I haven't touched it in months.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it was official too.. It just took Adobe forever to hit the streets with a x64 flash. Seemed like x64 flash would never come for Windows, even though it was available long before for linux...

17. Daveski17

It didn't claim to be a snapshot or an experimental release as far as I remember. In fact, I think they announced it in very positive terms.

18. Daveski17

Yes, I remember waiting for x64 flash. I think I first tested it in x64 IE9. I was very happy when Opera released the x64 browser, it didn't use the same profile as the x86 either & you could have both set up differently. I uninstalled the x86 however & went with the x64.

I'm still pretty sure it was official.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.