Chromebook privacy from Google?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by roark37, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hello,

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Privacy section but I am interested in possibly getting a Chromebook and have read comments here from people that have them and are very enthusiastic about them and I can see their potential benefits as well. But I didn't know if there was any way to have privacy from Google when using a Chromebook? Is there? Or does Google log everything you do on a Chromebook? And would there be any way of knowing if they were? I also was not sure if you can skip having a Google account when first setting up and still be able to use the Chromebook. What steps can you take short of using a vpn to have at least some privacy from Google when using one? Thanks.

2. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

You could make a Google account with a fake name. Credit to Tyridian for this next part. This is what I was going to tell you to do but the wonders of copy and paste :D
    "Turn off = Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors

Turn off = Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar

Turn off = Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google

Turn off = Predict network actions to improve page load performance

Turn off = Enable Autofill to fill out forms in a single click

Turn off = Offer to save passwords I enter on the web

Turn off = Cookies (Can only set per site permissions):
    Disable “Chrome Remote Desktop Viewer"
    type about:flags in your browser and hit ENTER BE VERY CAREFUL DO ONLY WHAT I TELL YOU, CHROME COULD GET DAMAGED scroll down to "disable hyperlink auditing pings" and it on enable and that will stop your from sending hyperlink pings and get more privacy and then exit out of the browser and open it up again. Also change your homepage to startpage.com or about:blank and then type startpage.com and I would recommend you install Gorhill's extension ublock and install EFF's extension HTTPS everywhere. I would also recommend you have enable "click to play" plugins in chrome's settings and disable "Allow some identifiers to be set" and disable "allow sites to see my real location" and disable "allow a site to access my webcam" and see this on how to setup a vpn on a chromebook https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1282338?hl=en

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.