Chrome Web Store: Is it news... or tradition?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Read the rest here: -https://www.barracudanetworks.com/blogs/labsblog?bid=3103

I can't say that I'm that surprised, to be honest. o_O

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yep. Wrote about it the other day.

Not too surprising. Hopefully Google will come out with the new CSP and permissions - that way legitimate extensions won't ask for such egregious rights and it will make spotting dangerous extensions much easier.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

So Google's Web Store review process is worthless?

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Pretty much. I mean, if we take under consideration the many situations like these that already happened in a not so distant past, it's acceptable to say it sucks.

They have released a new functionality in Chromium and Chrome Canary builds, that will let users know which extensions are manipulating the current website. I mentioned in a thread at other software & services (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=333655). But, I'm still not sure how it will help the vast majority of Google Chrome users. Will they (users) even notice there's some icon in the address bar? They probably will just ignore it all together. Time will tell...

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Making it easy for users to identify what is manipulating what is great. However, what users really need is the ability to "easily" control (override) what an extension, app, or website can/cannot do. In the case of an extension or app, a logical approach might be to have the add dialog display the permissions requested but also have an Adjust button so that the *user's* desired permissions/rules can be selected before it is installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.