Chrome Toolbar?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Izzy Here, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izzy Here

Izzy Here Registered Member

I am using Webroot Secure Anywhere with Chrome. I find the toolbar dropping down every time I go to a website extremely annoying and distracting. What protection am I giving up by disabling the toolbar? Does Webroot stop me from accessing disreputable sites even with the toolbar disabled? I already use LastPass professional so do not have password functionality enabled in Webroot.
    Thank you.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

There are two different browser extensions - a branded version of Lastpass and the Web Filtering extension. If you're already using Lastpass, you can disable the Webroot version without a problem. The web filtering extension should be silent without any user interaction but let me know if you're seeing something different.

3. Izzy Here

I am using the Chrome Extension called "Webroot Reputation Toolbar". Is this providing any extra protection for my browsing? It shows up for about 4 seconds every time I switch websites.

4. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I had this start happening last night for the first time ever. I think Chrome may have updated itself just before it started happening.
    What I did to stop it was to click enable in the dropdown window and then open the installed extensions list in Chrome and untick the browser extension to disable it. Haven't seen it since.
    If you happen to be running Chrome under Sandboxie you will need to open Chrome outside Sandboxie first to make the change stick.

5. Izzy Here

Thanks Dark Star. I have figured out how to disable it. My real question is whether or not I need it. Doesn't Webroot block malicious websites by default? If so, what is the point of the toolbar?

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Hi Izzy Here, I assume you're talking about the WR Toolbar for Chrome, from BrightCloud (part of Webroot)?
    If so, then you will probably not need to use it in addition to WSA, as WSA has its capabilities already included.

Please see: http://www.brightcloud.com/wrtoolbar.php

and: https://community.webroot.com/t5/We...ar-BrightCloud/m-p/35936/highlight/true#M2823

7. Izzy Here

Thank you Dermot. From your response it seems that I can uninstall the reputation toolbar without losing any functionality. That's what I wanted to know. :)

8. Dermot7

Yes, you may uninstall it, without experiencing any loss of security. Basically, it's not needed if you've got WSA-C, and is intended (I think) as a free extension for those who don't have WSA.
    Take care :)

Dermot

9. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Oh, wow... okay...

The Brightcloud Toolbar (Webroot Reputation Toolbar) does do extra stuff that the main agent does not do. It integrates into the browser directly to ensure that things are blocked prior to arrival instead of being partially-there before they are blocked and the block is very obvious, as opposed to the "Why won't this page load?" block the main agent does.

They also feed off two different databases, with the main agent using the URL functionality of the main DB (somewhat limited) and the toolbar using Brightcloud.

That being said, a number of people have expressed displeasure with the FPs on the toolbar and now this Chrome thing is new. HOWEVER... If you see a Warning Message (page is blocked) style just for a second or two when the page is loading, there is a chance your Chrome got struck with something that is trying to stealth-load bad juju in the background. Saw it happen on one of my user's computers today because of a crudware addon.

10. Dermot7

Not sure that I'd agree with your view of WR Toolbar (BrightCloud) being able to do "extra stuff", going by what Joe said here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2316554&postcount=185

And I'd say that the main Webroot database is much larger than (and incorporates) BrightCloud also, and isn't "limited", as you state?

11. Techfox1976

He was referring to the standalone toolbar:
    http://www.brightcloud.com/wrtoolbar.php

The main DB covers direct threats, while the reputation toolbar portion checks for suspicious things that the main DB will not alert you to or block you from. The main DB is much bigger in the sense that it covers all AV activity, but it does not contain as large a group of URLs, since it focuses only on the solid Bad URLs while the BC data will interject "Just be careful" in places.

12. Dermot7

@Techfox1976

Thanks, so are you saying that the BC Toolbar would bring wanted, possibly enhanced security, if used in addition to WSA? Sorry, if I'm misunderstanding anything, and thanks for the info about URL databases :thumb: :)

13. Techfox1976

The toolbar contained in WSA does. Sadly I can't remember what level of product has it. Complete definitely, not sure the AV does. If the AV doesn't, the standalone toolbar may be a benefit. The whole FP issue still applies though.

14. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We've recently changed WSA to now use a toolbar more similarly to what the BrightCloud toolbar does (although it is more feature-full but does integrate directly into the browser). This occurs in all products and we're actively migrating customers over.

Outside of a slightly different user experience, the BrightCloud toolbar does not have any security improvements over the in-built Webroot one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.