Chrome Stable Channel Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My manual updating machine worked fine. So I'm back to normal too!

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No wonder I didn't see it. It was hidden in the 2nd line!
    (Geez, that's embarrassing.) Thanks, elapsed. :oops:
    That's great news. Plus they updated Flash Player as well! ;)

3. guest

guest Guest

What the hell is this?

DocAddon.jpg

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Google Docs?
    it's been there for quite awhile.
    i always trash it after i install Chrome.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Your screenshot reminds me, does HTTPS everywhere need access to file URLs? It is not an option for other addons.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not sure of what benefit it is, that permission is disabled by default. Maybe for some experimental feature?

7. elapsed

Been there for a looooong time. I delete it when I install Chrome on a machine. I also go to about:apps and delete everything removable.

8. guest

guest Guest

Thanks, removed also. (and I just noticed about the Widevine plugin, now disabled)

It's not exclusive to HTTPS Everywhere. I can remember Script Defender extension has that option too (and also disabled by default).

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

TUESDAY, JULY 8, 2014

Flash Player Update
    We are updating Flash Player to version 14.0.0.145 on Windows and Mac via our component update system (i.e. there will not be a Chrome update).
    - from Chromeblog

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Might be a dumb question, elapsed, but removing YouTube on the about:apps page doesn't remove or block the youtube website, does it?
    It just removes a youtube app? TY
    youtube about apps.jpg

11. elapsed

Yup, you're right.

12. elapsed

I'm seeing a lot of negativity in those comments regarding the updating system and I have to agree with them. It appears that this flash update isn't being provided via the usual Chrome update method.

Instead it's being provided as a "component update" which happens within the browser. The downsides being there's no way to force it to check for updates. I'm still on the old vulnerable version 2 days later, that's terrible. IE has the updated version from Windows Update straight away. Google needs to get its act together over this.

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree, we should have an option to check for and manually install this update. It did update on my system but I have no idea when and how. I hope they'll change that with next releases.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't understand. I agree I cannot force an update, that is, when I do force an update, Flash version does not change.
    What is a "component update"? You say that it happens within the browser... by that do you mean that a user must keep all updating permissions in place and that the Flash update will eventually find its way to my browser?

Also, it looks as though my existing Flash version is 14.0.0, which appears to be old.
    My browser version is 35.0.1916.153.

15. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Weird! And you have both Google updating services disabled? And the Google Update plugin disabled? And no Google updates listed in Task Scheduler? And Flash Player Manager set to never check?

17. Minimalist

I have both services set to manual and task scheduler disabled. Update plugin is enabled and pup-up for updates enabled in Flash Player Manager. IDK, it might be that plugin updated flash.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm gonna try enabling those two for a little while and see if Flash updates. TY

19. elapsed

That's old.

It's my bad way of explaining that Chrome has the ability to update plugins silently like addons, when Google chooses to do so, without requiring an update to Chrome itself.

You're on the latest version of Chrome but I don't think there was ever a version of flash called just "14.0.0" I believe it's always been 14.x.x.x. Are you sure that's what it says in chrome://plugins ?

20. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I remember that sometimes they would place it in a User folder to get around having to prompt for admin rights, so maybe they're about to do that? I checked mine and there is nothing in the PepperFlash folder yet.

I tried updating manually, but I'm still on 14.0.0.125.

21. Minimalist

You got it right! I got version 14.0.0.125 installed in Program files and 14.0.0.145 in my Users folder. That's why I have problems running it. My SRP rules control DLL loading also so I'll have to create separate rules for flash plugin to run from user space. Thank you Google for making such a mess with this update! :thumbd:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My bad. Instead of doing the sensible thing and viewing Flash version in about: plugins, I was using an Adobe Flash version checker site, and it was reporting 14.0.0.
    I was starting to get a tad frustrated when I suddenly realized I had an extension called FlashControl enabled, and it's real tough to get a Flash version checker tool to work right with Flash content being blocked!
    Duh.
    Soon as I whitelisted the site, it showed 14.0.0.125.
    My apologies for posting skewed version number info, but at least it was good for a laugh. :confused:

flash checker.jpg

23. elapsed

My flash finally updated to .145 today thankfully.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good deal!

And you ordinarily have autoupdating disabled in Chrome, correct?

Mind sharing what settings you have on your machine that enabled the update?
    Specifically, how do you have these four settings configured?

Google updating services
    Google Update plugin
    Google updates in Task Scheduler
    Set Flash Player Manager

25. elapsed

Everything concerning Google updates is disabled as I prefer to do them myself. This includes the plugin, task scheduler and services.

If "Flash Player Manager" is the flash control panel, I've never bothered looking at it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.