Chrome Stable Channel Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. guest

guest Guest

Each extension is extracted in it's own directory and there is an additional directory where the extension saves it's configuration.
    While the extension is deinstalled, the extension itself and the settings of the extension are deleted.

In the case of uMatrix (ID: ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf):
    Code:
    Extension:
    c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf\
    Settings of uMatrix:
    c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf\

2. anon

anon Registered Member

I see. Thanks!

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Mood
    thanks for the information

you know i have installed several extension on chrome and uninstalled them , and it's always snappy , while with firefox :( when it become slow or sluggish i have to give a reset via the help menu it saves a profile and the old profile on desktop

chrome does not have such feature does it?
    thanks again

4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@mantra Go to chrome://settings click Advanced and go to the very bottom: Reset

EDIT: Although I don't know whether or not it backs up any profile prior to doing the reset. So be careful and manually backup prior to Reset just in case you lose everything.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

@WildByDesign
    thanks !

i will try but not on my computer :) , can you confirm that chrome performs a clean uninstall of the extensions ?

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, precisely. And I think you were correct about syncing being at the bottom of this little issue. I inadvertently deleted all bookmarks when trying to unsync, and had to rebuild via import, although import feature wasn't working too good across my network, so I just copied the bookmark file from another pc and used that. I ended up having to reinstall my four extensions, but at least I no longer have the issue wherein I could not reorder bookmarks bar without them reverting. This latest update caused this problem to appear suddenly, or maybe it was some sort of coincidence. Thank you for your suggestion.

7. WildByDesign

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

9. WildByDesign

Your welcome.

The Chrome team worked hard to rush in a critical fix (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=655788) in this release which was causing Chrome to crash rather widespread across enterprise systems which was related to software restriction policies (SRP). This started with the first M54 stable release. It's amazing though how many upvotes (stars) it got so quickly and helped it get prioritized and patched promptly.

10. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Version 54.0.2840.71 m (64-bit)
    Google Chrome is up to date.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    have noticed that chrome can not import firefox anymore ?

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. Dragon1952

Had to uncheck hardware acceleration in settings because lately my GPU in Task Manager showed it using about 900 mb of memory and 13% CPU.

14. WildByDesign

Making Chrome on Windows faster with PGO

Code:
    New tab page load time
    14.8% faster

Page load (time to first paint)
    5.9% faster

Startup time
    16.8% faster

PGO impact on load and startup time

15. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Chrome 54.0.2840.87

Offline Installers
    Consumer version
    x64

redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/13fui402sutls4f5sakgaqqlp08np2ohm5tpgbatcta4dmm2ngj5a6dk4ful1c60oywni49clteauhi05247tiii32acyjt49zpk/54.0.2840.87_chrome_installer.exe
    x86
    redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/on79h8m7fjjchqboltitbg1nopcle2ljtbia9pc1vb9hm5c8weiicsg730xrws496h9ibn6025tu6mpoi77072yg0v9e1kxphm2/54.0.2840.87_chrome_installer.exe

Enterprise version (msi installers)
    x64
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi
    x86
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise.msi

Differences between Consumer and Enterprise versions
    1. Enterprise lands in Program Files (x86) even though x64 is used, while Consumer in AppData.
    2. In a multi-user scenario, msi installs Chrome for all users by default.

Here are a couple other features you should be aware of:
    1. If a user already had the Consumer version installed and you push out the Enterprise edition to their machine, the next time they launch the Consumer edition it will detect that the Enterprise edition is installed. After displaying an explanatory message to the user, the Consumer edition uninstalls itself, the user's Chrome shortcuts are updated and the Enterprise edition is launched.
    2. The user's personal settings from the Consumer edition will be picked up by the Enterprise edition, as long as the version number of the Enterprise edition is greater or equal to the Consumer edition.

Therefore, I recommend to install Enterprise on a clean fresh system.
    Also I recommend Enterprise version for those who are using programs like AppGuard or ReHIPS which block running programs from AppData folder.

FAQs (Enterprise version)
    https://www.chromium.org/administrators/frequently-asked-questions

Policy List for Enterprise version: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

17. Dragon1952

Version 54.0.2840.87 m (64-bit)

18. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I switched back to beta from the stable, and a forewarning guys, on the beta the tabs are bigger, this essentially means you can fit less in a window before the site icons are gone so less efficient use of space.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

And still the browser complains that the flash plugin is not supported.This is totally unacceptable.uninstalled.

21. WildByDesign

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Chrome 54.0.2840.99

Offline Installers
    Consumer version
    x64

redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/laukm0y820bdcw851yaw9wkkef8rs7k81bt8lhn43mgayofjyxqb5fz7o67bknz47drkndicpdr21sfi8j3d8m7ih18br2l07rw/54.0.2840.99_chrome_installer.exe
    x86
    redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/5hckj7qqkdqrez17nmyh0auyfw7z4agqb3jqf600tyy7kaclj01eu7m1e27jyx0fpe366ud87tea786g1052k9cbvgbs2b26s9k/54.0.2840.99_chrome_installer.exe

Enterprise version (msi installers)
    x64
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi
    x86
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise.msi

Differences between Consumer and Enterprise versions
    1. Enterprise lands in Program Files (x86) even though x64 is used, while Consumer in AppData.
    2. In a multi-user scenario, msi installs Chrome for all users by default.

Here are a couple other features you should be aware of:
    1. If a user already had the Consumer version installed and you push out the Enterprise edition to their machine, the next time they launch the Consumer edition it will detect that the Enterprise edition is installed. After displaying an explanatory message to the user, the Consumer edition uninstalls itself, the user's Chrome shortcuts are updated and the Enterprise edition is launched.
    2. The user's personal settings from the Consumer edition will be picked up by the Enterprise edition, as long as the version number of the Enterprise edition is greater or equal to the Consumer edition.

Therefore, I recommend to install Enterprise on a clean fresh system.
    Also I recommend Enterprise version for those who are using programs like AppGuard or ReHIPS which block running programs from AppData folder.

FAQs (Enterprise version)
    https://www.chromium.org/administrators/frequently-asked-questions

Policy List for Enterprise version: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

23. Dragon1952

Version 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit)

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

anyone here noticed chrome blocking pages from large companies?

soyoustart a ovh (one of largest hosters in entire world) is blocked by chrome, however in this case they get a aweful score on sslalbs so I reported it to ovh as broken.

the big one is the verified by visa page is been blocked in my chrome installation, I wondered if my network or pc was the issue but it does work fine in firefox.

arcot.com is the company I think that hosts the visa page but it is possibly another url, basically if I try to make a payment on any site that accepts visa and that site uses the verified by visa system I get a vague "connection reset" error.

tesco.com e.g. uses the system and they are the biggest supermarket in my country with millions of customers, I would think chrome would have had complaints in the 1000s if broken for everyone so is kind of weird.

The error still occurs if I unload all my extensions.

--edit--

found a url that is broken without needing to buy something to test

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127030

works in FF 49.0.1, chrome shows connection reset, although if I run chrome in safe mode the message changes into
    ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

On FF it uses AES 256 CBC

I got feeling someone on the chrome dev team thought they were a security expecert and decide disabling aes 256 CBC would be fine, without realising some sites will only run on aes 256. Whilst I agree with thoughts that aes128 GCM is better, I think blocking visa's verification site is pretty silly.

So far not much happening on my bug report here.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromiu...atus Owner Summary OS Modified&groupby=&sort=

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.