Chrome Stable Channel Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Report and screenshot sent. Hopefully it might help.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Since switching Google Update services to auto start, I have been able to update one 7x64 machine, however the other is stuck inside a perpetual update relaunch loop, in which it says it is updating, then prompts for a relaunch, then comes back as up to date with 130, instead of 155. I reported that info/screenshot as well.

Attached Files:

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Identical same issue on my Win7x86 machine. Hopefully you get answer for this although I think the ultimate solution will cure all problems.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I can't update to latest version also. Those problems started with v.44 for me.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Exactly, they started with v.44 for me too!
    I tried using a FULL offline installer but no luck either. The only thing I got is still v.130 and my settings overwritten! :eek: I had to configure manually the three profiles I actually have.

6. Minimalist

Ouch that's real PITA. I think that I will wait for some time and see if they'll fix this.

7. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Still stuck on .130 here. I keep getting an endless loop of UAC prompts and the button to restart for the update to take effect, yet it stays on the same version. I have only been having this issue with the past few updates as well. Usually Chrome was quite well known for effortless updates, but this is becoming problematic lately.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Recently spotted Chrome updating dialog...

Attached Files:

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Wut? lol
    Must be a joke from Google Inc.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Just a little frustrated updating humor from me...

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Ah ok! lol
    I was in total shock :p

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well I finally got 155 to install on my 2nd 7x64 computer. After all of the massaging, trying different approaches, etc, it just updated like it used to when I used the internal updater (About Google Chrome). This time relaunch did not deliver me into the Land of the Endless Loop, but instead, into the Land of 155. Now to turn services back to manual from auto, until next time.

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

0 for 3 Chrome updates for me. All PCs needed manual updates.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't know if this person is for real or not, but in the comments section of the Chrome blog she posted that the issue has been fixed.

15. Minimalist

I could update Chrome this morning. I hope that they've fixed the problem for good.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Could you pass me the link for that comment? Please.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sure Mister X. The Chrome blog link gets posted frequently in this thread to reference updates, so I got lazy and didn't post it this time.
    Look for the Krishna Govind comment near the end of the comments section.

Attached Files:

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thank you. Either way I restore a system backup for other reasons and used the moment to update Chrome and finally it succeeded, really don't know because of the system restore or their update fix. Well, we will see till the next update.

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm having a Chrome problem that I suspect may be update-related, but I started a new thread so as to not clutter up this Updates thread in case it isn't updates-related.
    Please, if you are a Chrome user, take a minute to review the thread and let me know your thoughts. Appreciate any help.
    Known bug in Chrome with rearranging tabs?

21. anon

anon Registered Member

22. Minimalist

Page not accessible.
    Is this old news (problem from few month ago) or this second time they were trying to include this in Chromium?

23. anon

anon Registered Member

Page not accessible........

http://blog.avira.com/google-chromium-hotword-avira-browser/
    =
    Google, Chromium, HotWord, and our Avira browser

August 14, 2015

Google added a cool feature to chrome. It is voice search. They just forgot to ask the users before doing so.

And voice search requires the microphone to be switched on with the browser listening and waiting for the magic word “Ok Google”. In general this is ok for probably most people – but not for the privacy and security aware ones. For them (and for us) it is an absolute No-Go. Google added the feature by adding the “Hotword” extension to Chrome and its Open Source counterpart Chromium.

After the first impact this feature had on the security press, Google added a compile switch to keep it out of Chromium and later even set “off” as a default.

To prevent things like that from ever happening to our browser, we wrote a small script that checks the installed extensions and compares them to the “can” and “must” list. This way we can ensure that no unwanted extensions are installed by our browser (which is based on Chromium source) and all extensions we want to be installed are there.

If you ever want to verify this yourself, you can find the script here: https://github.com/Avira/chrome_extension_checker

When running said script you will find some extensions that are not listed in Chrome/Chromium or our browser. That is actually by design. Because these extensions are hard-wired in and provide functionalities you would expect to be done “in the browser code”. It is better to have them implemented in extensions. Why? Glad you asked:

Between an extension and the browser there are security boundaries. They limit the rights of the extension (see the manifest.json file of the extension for requested rights). This way, if the extension gets hacked, the damage that can be done is limited. If the features would instead have been implemented in the browser source directly, those helpful boundaries would not exist. So as you can see this is a good engineering practice.

Now, armed with the script, no one can sneak extensions into your browser without you noticing.

For entertainment purposes:

• Compare the extensions identified by our tool to those you can see in the Extensions menu and by checking this url chrome://inspect/#extensions
      (Yes, it is also good engineering practice to “hide” extensions from the user. As an engineer you do not want to confuse people with extensions they did not install)
    • Compare all chrome based browsers (chromium, our browser, chrome, …) check what they install.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  24. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Interesting, but I can't seem to find how to use the script on the github page. Do we download the zip and run one of the files (.json)?

25. Minimalist

Thanks anon, page is up again.
    Disabling OK Google search would probably prevent extension from listening to your microphone?

upload_2015-8-17_14-27-28.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.