Chrome Stable Channel Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, I thought I'd get used to it with time ... but if I can return to the original, that's great. AFAIK this hasn't reached Chromium yet (thankfully). I often wonder about: 'new and improved' things. Maybe new; not always improved.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The fact that settings are customizable (to whatever extent they are in Chrome... I am not sure how extensive it is) is terrific. A roll-your-own browser, if you will, is highly preferable to being forced to accept arbitrary design changes. I say give us as much of that as possible.

3. Daveski17

Or just get Google to stop changing stuff for the sake of it lol. ;)

4. anon

anon Registered Member

The question is: It's easy for the average user to find the above mentioned settings?

5. Daveski17

Yeah lol! How many Chrome users even know flags exists? I must say, even though I knew about it, it didn't cross my mind to look in flags to see if the original bookmarking could be re-implemented. I'm really grateful you found it and posted it here. :thumb:

6. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Its quite a visual change that's for sure. I can see how this would be too much for most, however the tile view is way too much even for me. The List view is much more acceptable.

The sharing of bookmarks or folders is especially useful for me as i collaborate with colleagues for our research. I often find numerous links and resources that need to be shared with others somehow. But i doubt this would be u greatly used feature for most.

regards.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. Tile view is too much for me also. I also don't spend much time using bookmark manager so it doesn't matter to me so much how it looks.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

Providing updates for Chrome for XP through 2015
    http://chrome.blogspot.fr/2015/04/providing-updates-for-chrome-for-xp.html

-----------------
    Google to support Chrome on Windows XP until end of this year
    http://www.cnet.com/news/google-to-support-chrome-on-windows-xp-until-end-of-2015/

9. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Thanks for posting the tip on how to revert back to the old bookmark manager, the new one is confusing. Sadly knowing Google they will force it on users & remove the flag to disable it as past experience shows.

10. Daveski17

This is what I fear too. Hopefully it won't be implemented in Chromium.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, anon!
    The stable channel has been updated to 42.0.2311.135 for Windows, Mac and Linux.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Stable Chrome update (42.0.2311.152) available now with updated Flash Player 17.0.0.188.

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thnx for info! Updated with no issues.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, WBD!

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. Thx for bookmarks manager tip

Tried to copy Chrome user data folder after finished hardening of a PC. Have not seen this before. Could one of the members please check whether it is an additional Chrome feature to prevent messing with settings or did I mess up with ACL or GPO?

Try zipping your User Data folder when you have started Chrome. Even read permissions seem to be removed.

upload_2015-5-15_11-4-12.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  19. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Plenty of files aren't accessible while zipping (as Chrome was running). The zipped file as well as the User Data folder are readable. Maybe it's the result you played with restrictions. Win-7 Prof x64, Chrome 40.0.2214.111 m (64-bit).

Cheers!

20. WildByDesign

I experienced errors as well from archiving it while Chrome was running. However, after closing Chrome and then trying to archive the directory it worked well with no errors. So I believe it is just because Chrome is still running and cannot access some of those files, 76 files or so were reported by 7-Zip in particular.

21. WildByDesign

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good job with that news, WBD.
    Wow, 37 security fixes in this update!
    I am always left with a strange feeling upon learning that a piece of software has had such extensive security upgrades.
    One the one hand, everyone was bragging about how great the software was before... then they brag about how 37 problems got fixed!
    Of course, this condition is not akin to Chrome alone. It's an industry-wide phenom.
    Hey! Check us out! We just fixed 37 security flaws! What we said before about being great? We were wrong. But now we're right. Until next release, anyway. :)

23. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It goes to show how effective their bug bounty program is. However, you seem to be implying that it's unsafe for some reason. Is Linux also unsafe due to having a higher vulnerability count than Windows?

There was a good graph someone had posted which shows that most of these vulnerabilities are low severity.

24. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

These are submitted by if you like googles "bounty hunters".This is very good for chrome and the more vulnerabilities found the better i would assume.
    I would err on the side of caution with browsers that have no such fixes in between major releases.:)

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Oh, I COMPLETELY agree that the more vulnerabilities found, the better. It'd take a fool to believe otherwise.
    Basically, all I'm pointing out is that the browser we all knew and loved yesterday had 37 security flaws, just like the one we are using today is chock full of tomorrow's undiscovered security flaws.
    You mean aside from the 37 reasons that were just patched? Probably.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.