Chrome Portable questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I am very new to using portable applications and want to try Chrome Portable. I would probably be running it from a usb drive and if I did I want to know if the Google updater comes with portable chrome and if so would it update even from usb? Also if running portable Chrome off usb can you add extensions for it and and if so do all those completely remain on usb so your pc is untouched?

I have tried portable Firefox so far and it seems to run well from usb, From what I can tell it seems that everything has remained on the usb but am not sure if Chrome would be the same. Firefox portable has run well for me from usb and I don't really notice it much or any slower browsing than regular installed version. Is Chrome portable likely to be the same?

Thanks.

2. 93036

93036 Registered Member

Not sure...but why not use Comodo Dragon? Same platform, with built-in DNS [I think].

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes extensions work fine with Chrome Portable. As for updating, there is no Google updater. You can either download new versions and install, or if you also have the PortableApps.com Platform, you can use it to check for updates to your portable apps.

4. blinking_spirit

blinking_spirit Registered Member

Not adding much here, but I have been using it for a number of months (on the PortableApps platform) and it's been working great. In terms of extensions I have Lastpass (the portable version) and Ad-block Plus.

The only "downside" is third-party extensions that sometimes need to be allowed frequently (such as IDM or Norton Identity Protect).

5. roark37

Thanks for the replies. I did try portable Chrome at it seems mainly fine and I did not have any issues and the basic installation all seems to be only on usb. I want to try some extensions though and looked at a couple but all seem to need access to all websites and browsing history? Is that just a basic tradeoff you have to make if using extensions? And if so is using extensions giving up a lot of privacy as compared to just surfing without them? Or with all the tracking going on now does it not actually make much difference? If extensions get access to websites and browsing history does that also mean that information is sent to the creators of those extensions or does it just remain in Chrome? I know these are really basic questions but I am just trying to better understand the risks.

Thanks again.

6. WSFuser

Although many extensions give that warning that does not mean they actually collect/send that information. Either check the extension's website or contact the developer to verify what the extension does.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

as a rule of thumb, it's always good to verify the reputation of the maker of the addon.

addons and plugins can be major security risks, so i recommend installing as few as possible and make sure you can trust the one you want or have.

8. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

The one thing I noticed with chrome portable is that the cache is written to the user temp folder of the pc hard drive. Once the browser is closed it is deleted. I would prefer nothing would be written to the hard drive.

9. roark37

Thanks. I did look into the main "Reader" like apps I am interested in and am disappointed in that they seem to require accounts to use. It does seem possible though to disable an extension. If an extension were disabled until you wanted to use it and then activated it only then would that eliminate a lot of the privacy issues?

Just as an aside I am really surprised that Chrome does not have a Reader button similar to Safari built in. I would have thought that by now all browsers would have that but as far as I can tell you have to use an extension like Pocket or iReader and all those types that I have seen seem to access lots of information. Does anyone know of a Reader like functionality in Chrome that does not?

Thanks again.

10. moontan

if the addons or plugin contains malware it could have root access to your machine.

like i said, you gotta be well damn sure what you install is safe and legit.

the browser is your entry point to the internet for the most part.
    you gotta be sure that's well protected.

11. WSFuser

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Maybe the Readability extension?

Or perhaps just use the bookmarklet?

13. roark37

Would this apply even if using Chrome incognito? I assume it likely would. And if Chrome portable was installed on hard drive instead of usb would that temp folder be deleted each time on close the same way?

I like the Readability bookmarklet idea as I had not seen that earlier when I went to their website. It does not appear that needs an account to use just to clean up pages for easier reading and seems to be some sort of javascript. Are items(bookmarklets) like that generally much safer than installed extensions?

Lastly, I have used both Chrome and Firefox portable so far just from usb but would they would they work fine if installed directly to hard drive? Mainly meaning no updater or anything like that? The portable versions seem much quieter to me as neither Chrome or Firefox portable running from usb seem to trigger my outbound firewall that they are attempting internet access. Is that generally true of portable apps overall?

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

14. moontan

it (Chrome) leaves stuff in the Registry anyway.

you would have to erase that as well if you wanted to leave no traces.

15. WSFuser

Yes the portable applications would be fine on your hard disk.
    If your two-way firewall doesn't prompt for outbound connections by the PortableApps, then either you already allowed it or there is some rule or setting that is allowing it.

16. roark37

Do you mean Chrome leaves stuff in Registry when installed to hard drive or even when installed and run from USB? If the latter what type of stuff? I had read many articles on using flash drives and they all said the main point of it was to not leave anything on host pc so ideal for public computers or when using someone else's. Is that not correct and it really is not completely contained on USB? And if so does that also apply to Firefox portable also? And for Chrome can any of the privacy type extensions like Better Privacy or Click & Clean remove all those traces from the registry?

Thanks.

17. WSFuser

Google Chrome portable does not (afaik) touch the registry. And I don't think extensions can touch the registry though if they tried I bet you would get a UAC prompt (Vista/7/8 ).

18. WSFuser

19. moontan

it apparently leaves traces in the registry that it was used.

so it might be a privacy issue for some people.

the topic was discussed here @ Wilders a year or 2 ago...
    ----
    edit:
    here's the thread in case anyone is interested:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=311288&highlight=chrome portable registry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.