Chrome on linux.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by The Red Moon, Sep 22, 2015.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I use google chrome browser on linux mint.Is this browser fairly secure on mint.?.Tend to be having slowdown issues with firefox so i switched to chrome and it runs just fine.

On an extra note i clean chrome with history eraser after every browsing session.However i have bleachbit installed also and this finds chrome config data,im assuming i should leave this be...?

Thanks.

2. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Chrome has a pretty strong sandbox in Linux. Type Chrome:sandbox into the address bar and see what pops up.

You can get an up to date Chromium through an Ubuntu repository on Mint too.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Or install Firejail and run the command: firejail --private-home=.config/ chromium. This way you are running Chromium within another sandbox and any all changes made within the sandboxed browsing session including extensions, history, favorites, Privacy/Content settings, etc... will be discarded when you close it.

-https://l3net.wordpress.com/projects/firejail/#downloads

There is a lengthy thread on firejail

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I use Chromium a lot on Ubuntu, I just have uBlock and WOT. Does anyone know if there is a current Flagfox equivalent for Chrome/Chromium?

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Correct CHROMIUM >>>>>>>>>>>> chrome.

6. Daveski17

Well, I'm assuming the extension itself, if there is one, will run on either lol.

Off topic, I tried LXLE on my old laptop after seeing it in your signature. I thought it was brilliant, unfortunately when I tried to install it my old Belnea had some hardware problems and wouldn't recognise the USB mouse (the track pad doesn't work) so I couldn't finish the installation. The laptop was knackered anyway. LXLE impressed me though.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Different Distros for different hardware. Some old laptops I have to try 6 or more to find one that works ootb.

Weird though I made a backup LXLE LiveDVD of my ancient desktop with 17yr old hardware. And it works on my 3rd gen i5 laptop. Pretty unusual ime.

8. Daveski17

You win some, you lose some lol.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

10. Daveski17

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't know how "savvy" you are but I've come across quite a few reports of mishaps with bleachbit. If it has a "simulation" mode, I'd recommend using it if you decide you really need to use bleachbit.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I find BleachBit in User mode quite safe unlike Root mode.

13. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Bleachbit is like CCleaner right?

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes, although more powerful IMO. It can do the same amount of damage as CCleaner with registry cleaning and winapp2.ini... But also cleans just about as thoroughly on Linux.

The only reason I use it is to free disk space on my dynamically-allocated virtual machine before compressing it. Includes a free space wiper, so that prepares the VDI for compression.

15. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

As mentioned, don't run Bleachbit willy nilly. As root, it ought to auto-rename itself to Aqua regia.

16. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Bleachbit is fine. It's a great tool to recover space and let go useless junk files. I run bleachbit as normal user and root every once in a while, for several years now. Never a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.