Chrome Now Includes Do Not Track Option

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Might as well include this...

Google's Chrome finally embraces Do Not Track, but with a warning
    http://www.zdnet.com/googles-chrome-finally-embraces-do-not-track-but-with-a-warning-7000007022/

Given that Google has shipped it, given the recent FTC Chairman's comments about them supporting a self-regulatory approach, and given his comment that seems to telegraph that they would accept "modest opt-out", its definitely not looking good for DNT.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The problem here is that Google itself does not honor its own DNT and will not until further notice: https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2790761&p=settings_do_not_track.

They are without a doubt an advertising company ((An advertising company with projects is my best way to describe modern Google.)), so there's no real shock there. However, it's somewhat hypocritical to support a standard you're not willing to follow, in my opinion.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

They will support the standard after they help pervert the standard. To the point that DNT (Do not track) poses little to no threat to their data collection, tracking, profiling, general goals and simply becomes DSPA (Don't show personalized ads).

4. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I just added the Do Not Track Plus add-on. Is it pointless since I already use AdBlock PLUS and BitDefender TL?

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I don't think it's pointless, no. They work differently. DNT+ is more of an opt-out solution where ABP blocks whatever is on the filter lists, no questions asked. DNT+ works best on those finicky websites that will not work properly or at all if every ad company is blocked.

6. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Does Do Not Track Plus block ads too or should I keep using AdBlock PLUS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.