Chrome Now Includes Do Not Track Option

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

2. Just download Do Not Track+ from the extensions web-store. make sure you also set up the extended settings in chrome: 1# Allow data to be kept for this session only and #2 Do not allow third party cookies.

3. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

what's it worth though?

i see the option in Firefox and Opera iirc but its like saying "oh pretty please google and sleazy 3rd party companies that have made tens of billions selling people's private data, please don't track me"

and then they say "or what?"

and all you can say is "or, or nothing" because there are no penalties if they decide to ignore your no track request.

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

http://www.zdnet.com/why-do-not-track-is-worse-than-a-miserable-failure-7000004634/

Note: Abine is the maker of Do Not Track Plus.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Options like this are great for consumers, but, as many point out for Do Not Track it's rather pointless if advertisers are just going to ignore it and there is no enforced backing from higher up in the food chain such as government.

6. Microsoft have it in IE10 for Win8. That's a start.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

DNT can't be enforced technologically but it can be enforced legally, which is what the plan is in the future.

Actually, no. It's a huge setback to the entire DNT movement, really. Microsoft has enabled DNT by default in IE10. DNT is only to be enforced when a user opts into it. Them doing this just makes DNT harder to adopt.

Users of IE10 will likely not benefit *at all* from DNT because of this.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

But the whole reason for DNT is because it isn't being enforced legally. If it isn't being enforced legally (the *future* could be 5 years from now or more when you think about the usual government roadblocks.), and advertisers just ignore it anyway, why bother with DNT? Adblock does the same thing and can't be ignored, if I understand the way it works.

I'm wondering though if Apache servers will now block any DNT attempts, not just IE10.

9. Hungry Man

That's how things get started. It's not going to happen overnight. And no, adblock plus can be ignored in terms of DNT.

And it's only IE10 that they're ignoring.

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

In its present form, DNT lies somewhere between wishful thinking and a bad joke. The idea that there will be effective legal enforcement is very much wishful thinking. Laws relating to technology as it relates to our privacy are always years behind reality.

The only semi-effective anti-tracking measures are those that you implement and control on your end. No company is going to voluntarily implement something that damages their bottom line, especially Google.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I know that things can't happen overnight. I'm only saying that with business the way it is right now, it's likely to be resisted as much as possible for as long as possible. Call me pessimistic :) Can you explain how not loading tracking scripts, as I believe ABP does with the relevant lists, and blocking 3rd party cookies allows them to ignore this more customized DNT?

12. Hungry Man

Adblock Plus sends a do not track header. That doesn't do anything any better than what would be built into the browser (and it won't send it on whitelisted sites). If you're actually blocking the ad itself then naturally it can't track you.

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

So, say the EasyPrivacy/Fanboy Trackers list is nothing more than DNT, it does not actually block the trackers from loading? I'm not talking about visual ads when I ask that, but the numerous 3rd party web bugs/scripts.

14. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If there's a rule blocking a third-party bug/script, then it will be blocked. But, if for whatever reason, a connection needs to be allowed, so that a website properly works, then tracking will happen. (Which is why lists comes with whitelisted entries.) But, if you really need to access the website, what you're going to do, right? :argh:

So, the short version is: Yes, it is more than DNT, because you're taking measures yourself, and not waiting for trackers to respect your wish of not being tracked.

15. Hungry Man

DNT only describes the header sent. If you're also blocking your ads with a host file or whatever else that's entirely separate.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Thank you both, I understand it all now :)

17. encus

encus Registered Member

Hoping the same thing with Firefox ;)

18. itman

itman Registered Member

I use the Fanboy plug-in in IE9. It physically blocks the ad; web page corresponding space is blank.

19. encus

encus Registered Member

IE now supports add ons like AdBlock Plus?:eek:

20. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I think the other user is referring to the Fanboy's TPLs, rather than Adblock Plus plugin, which is not available for IE.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Though I sure wish it was.

22. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Lol that's stupid. What so they can track but others can't ? I don't think it really does anything.

23. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

DNT doesn't do anything, no. The WC3 meetings have made it crystal clear that advertising agencies are going to refuse to cooperate and will not honor DNT requests. I must admit I'm slightly amused thinking of Google and DNT, but that's neither here nor there really. When you get right down to it, DNT has all but officially been deemed a failure.

24. encus

encus Registered Member

Oh I see. Thanks.

25. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.