Chrome Linux - The Flash Plugin Is Out Of Date

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TerryWood, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I am using Zorin OS 64bit (Ubuntu derivative) with Chrome Browser 11.0.696.43 beta and I cannot use Flash other than temporarily because it is being blocked as out of date.

I downloaded another Adobe Flash 64bit plugin and extracted it (libflashplayer.so) , However I simply do not know how to update/overwrite the existing plugin. I don't know the commands, and even if I did I would struggle to do it.

Anybody game for a bit of handholding so I can get it sorted?

Thanks

Terry

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Chrome is supposed to come with flash. What kind of error message are you receiving exactly?

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The 64-bit version of Chrome doesn't come with Flash.

To the OP: on Ubuntu, copying the libflashplayer.so file to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins has worked well for me.

4. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Thanks Eice

You are quite right the 64bit is a special beta download that will have to be manually updated according to the Adobe site.

I may have got it sorted, in a sense somewhat the opposite way round to what you did. I read that chrome shares the Mozilla plugin. When I checked about:plugins in chrome it was indeed showing the Mozilla plugin.

I uninstalled the old Chrome plugin which then was removed from the Chrome about:plugins. That done it appears that the block was removed from me installing the new version which is named somewhat differently to the Mozilla version.

The new version is now showing in about:plugins and Flash is working again

Thanks

Terry

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Not necessary here. On Ubuntu Maverick, I have the 64bit version of Chrome 12 installed from https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/ archive/dev/ packages, and flash worked out of the box. In my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder there is flashplugin-alternative.so which is a link to /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so.

I'm not using the 64bit version from https://launchpad.net/~sevenmachines/ archive/flash as it seems to be behind securitywise.

BTW: This feature - mentioned in another thread here - is really nice.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The OP is using Chrome, not Chromium. Apparently he didn't install flashplugin-installer under the assumption that Chrome came with its own Flash, which isn't true for the 64-bit package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.