Chrome Extension Content Verification

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AutoCascade, Mar 8, 2016.

1. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

This would seem to be a good way to verify that the extension you have is what its supposed to be basically its signed. Its an option in Chrome flags.

chrome://flags

This flag can be used to turn on verification that the contents of the files on disk for extensions from the webstore match what they're expected to be. This can be used to turn on this feature if it would not otherwise have been turned on, but cannot be used to turn it off (because this setting can be tampered with by malware).

2. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Interesting. Have you tried it? Did it break/disabled any extensions for you?

3. AutoCascade

No I've been running it on Chrome stable without a problem. I have it set to "Enforce Strict (hard fail if we can't get hashes). I have quite a few extensions too.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't understand the part about not being able to turn it off...

"This can be used to turn on this feature if it would not otherwise have been turned on, but cannot be used to turn it off (because this setting can be tampered with by malware)"

How does a user turn it off? Via the drop down menu, reset to Default? If yes, then wtf do they mean by cannot be used to turn it off?

5. AutoCascade

I have a lot of flags set so I'm not going to experiment be resetting them all to default but it sounds like that would be the only way to turn it off - you couldn't just turn that one flag off is the way I interpreted it.

If I get the time tomorrow I'll install chrome beta and try that out to see how it works as far as turning the flag off

6. AutoCascade

I just installed the dev version to test turning this flag on and off and I had no problem doing so I could change it to any of the options relaunch and it showed changed after the browser restarted.

7. AutoCascade

Sounds like a check in case you were infected and an extension was modified

8. ballot

ballot Registered Member

how exactly chrome extension verification works?

i think they put public key in hardcoded exe and private key in chrome webstore?
    and they verify file hashes?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.