Chrome/Chromium Portable - any suggestions you know to be well contained?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheWindBringeth, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I need a Chrome or Chromium version for portable offline testing (Windows). I've found two which appear to be different:

Chromium Portable - "based on Google Chrome's Dev release channel"
    http://crportable.sourceforge.net/

Chrome Portable - Portable Apps (online installer based, I'm not fully aware of the implications of that)
    http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

Perhaps there are others. In my experience, some so called portable apps aren't entirely well behaved during install or use... they end up polluting the system in some way. Have any of you used one of the above, or some other portable version, and found it to be a truly self-contained portable app? Thanks in advance.

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Thanks. I notice:
    The registry and AppData are two places where I recall seeing remnants. So perhaps whatever portable app that involved (can't remember) wasn't cleaning things up properly.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Chromium does not have Flash capability. Chrome does. Chromium does not auto-update. Chrome does. Chromium does not "call home." Chrome does.

I would assume these same situations hold true for the 2 portable versions mentioned in OP's post.

6. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

QtWeb portable does not make any temp files on the host system hard disk. I don't believe it makes changes to the registry but I'm not sure on that one.

If there are any Chrome portable variants that don't create/delete temp files on the host hard disk I would like to know also.

7. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Chromium does communicate with Google servers to update extensions. I suppose there are flags to disable this though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.