Chrome and Sandboxie.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Hugger, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Any benefits if I run Chromium inside Sandboxie?
    Thanks.

2. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Well it's better than not running in in sandboxIE. In case something passes throught, you'll have the sandbox to contain it.

3. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Actually yes you've got double protection benefit if you do :D No way anything could get get by this stable combo. I tried chrome against some exploit infested sites and Avira doesn't get the same detections that I get with IE. Now if anything manages to bypass chrome it has to find out that its trapped in SBIE and also get past that! well I mean good luck with that :D

4. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

If it´s able to escape... call it MacGyver! ;)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

While I agree that it's a pretty safe combo (Chrome alone is probably good enough without the added hassle of Sandboxie), it doesn't pay to be over-confident. There are many examples of malware "playing nice" after detecting it is inside a virtual environment, and delivering its load once outside that barrier. There are also examples of malware breaking through such environments.

Malware authors have this nasty habit of being determined and patient. What they can't break right now, they'll break in the future (see DEP and ASLR, which has recently been compromised). They aren't stupid, they know very well Returnil, Sandboxie, ShadowDefender and the like exist. They know these programs are being counted on as the last major defense, and, like us, they know all software has bugs and holes, even the mighty virtual environment programs.

There are thousands of people, good and bad, trying to and eventually succeeding to break the best security measures out there every day. The sandboxes will fall, if not today or tomorrow, eventually they'll fall. Gee, there I go on a tangent again, lol. Look, right now, that is a good combo, and pretty safe. However, as said, it isn't invulnerable. So, keep a good image standing by. Which is what you should do no matter how good your security is.

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Good way of looking at the situation.
    I just tried to run Chrome in Sandboxie and didn't see the #'s anywhere.
    Is there something else I need to do other than click on Run Sandboxed?
    Thanks.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

8. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Saraceno,
    Thanks. I don't have a Taskbar like with other browsers.
    Chrome's only shows up when I'm doing something like clicking on a link or loading a page.
    Still don't see the #'s but hte colored border tells me SB is working.
    I'm not going to bother too much with Chrome until Google and Roboform iron out their useability problems.
    Which I hope is soon.
    Hugger

9. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

On my 32 bit machine, I have run chrome and SRWare in sandboxie and it seems slower than when I run Firefox sandboxed. I have Online Armor ++ and A2Squared Anti-Malware running.

An example is when I open multiple tabs, in Firefox they open regularly but in Chrome/SRWare after opening 3 tabs, I can't open another one until those 3 have been completed.

Any suggestions on why that is or what I could do with my configuration?

10. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I totally agree, more people should read this. Malware authors LOVE overconfidence.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.