Chrome and Firefox are planet-wreckers, IE cuddles dolphins

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Chrome and Firefox are planet-wreckers, IE cuddles dolphins:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/0..._internet_explorer_is_most_efficient_browser/

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"Microsoft-commissioned study finds IE sucks ... "

No argument from me.

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I wonder if IE is leveraging some components (already running?) within the OS itself, as opposed to FF and Chrome having to use entirely third-party code. Also, if Chrome is loading pages preemptively (which I believe it does by default) that might help explain why it uses a bit more power.

Still, the results were very close and of course I wouldn't choose a browser based on them, especially since extensions aren't taken into account. Things like ad blockers, script blockers, etc. could reduce power usage, I'd imagine. I liked how the graph showed Wikipedia to be among the least power-hungry websites - naturally, because it's not loaded with javascript and Flash.

Come to think of it, did they test FF with Flash installed? Of course IE (on Win8 ) and Chrome have it included.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

:argh: Nice one. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.