Chrome and CCleaner?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I have chrome (newest version) installed and I changed my settings (do to privacy reasons) for the cookies to "keep local data only until I quit my browser". I'm not familiar with Chrome at all, this is the first I have ever used it. Will this affect the preferences disappearing?

Then in CCleaner I had it set to clear all cookies. I use very little because I'm in virtual mode all the time when I surf. Every once in a while I remember to check and run CCleaner.

Upon me doing these two things, when I open Chrome to use it, it will say it can't read my preferences and something about it may be corrupt and everything that I had setup is gone and has to be done again. Since I automatically boot into to virtual mode as pure habit to surf I can't see if both are the culprits. I do know that CCleaner is one but I don't know about the other, so I thought I would ask here since there are so many of users out there.

One more thing...I'm using Win7 Professional. Can someone tell me the correct path(s) for "Downloads" folder and "Favorites" in Chrome so I can save my bookmarks through Returnil when I'm surfing. I did look many times on the internet and everytime I punched in the information I was given into Returnil it was wrong. The only thing I can think of why this happened is because there are many different versions of Win7 and maybe they are not all the same.

Kind Regards,

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It's an older version of CCleaner that corrupted Chrome's profile. You should update CCleaner to last version - 4.10.

hqsec

3. Minimalist

And answer to 2nd question:
    - bookmarks: c:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
    - downloads: you can set it up in settings - show advanced settings - downloads

hqsec

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Okay, I will update CCleaner. I need the path for Win7 Professional for the downloads. I need this info for Returnil so I can keep my downloads after I boot out of virtual mode. There is a setting in there where you put in the path. Thank you very much!

5. Minimalist

Default path for downloads is C:\Users\USER\Downloads\. You have to change "USER" with your username. But you can modify location in Chrome's settings as I described in previous post.

hqsec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.