Chrome 20 On Linux Gets Flash Seccomp Filter

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Chrome 20 seemed really unexciting and this particular Linux release got overlooked so here you go.
    http://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2012/07/chrome-20-on-linux-and-flash-sandboxing.html

tl;dr:

PPAPI Flash now runs in a Chroot, PID namespace, and has seccomp filters applied. The combination of these makes for a seriously secure Flash plugin.

2. Hungry Man

I wrote an explanation of seccomp filters on as low a level as I could. If one of the programmers wants to look at it and tell me where I messed up I'd be really happy to hear about it. I basically just explained what the kernel is, what least privilege is, what a system call is, and why they're dangerous.

Here's the article.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

As noted on your blog, the seccomp sandbox is NOT enabled for Chrome v. [FONT=Ubuntu, Arial, sans-serif]21.0.1180.41 beta [/FONT]if the --enable-seccomp-sandbox switch is removed (although it should be enabled by default). Perhaps a regression.

4. Hungry Man

Potentially a UI fault of the chrome://sandbox page. I assume that's what you're using to confirm.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes. Is there another way to check that?

6. Hungry Man

Not that I know of. I would file a feature request for better Linux documentation as the current documentation is 2 years old and severely out of date.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Thanks. I reported that bug.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.