Chrome 13 Dominates Windows 7 Browser Comparison, Bows To Safari On OS X

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to agree about the flash issue. Flash in linux is horrible from my experience. I have ATI also, but not that card. Maybe it has something to do with no hardware acceleration, or something else, I don't know, but watching streaming video in a browser in linux is awful. I have my own opinions on desktop linux in general, but I won't get started on that.. no point.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I've heard this. I found this on the Urban Dictionary:

ati

Makers of fine graphics card. But provider of **** linux drivers.
    Yeah ati hardware rocks, but the linux driver support is awful. Try an nvidia card until ati get their **** together

:D

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Could someone give an example, a link, of "horrible" Flash?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Vasa, I think you would need to have the same hardware I'm using to see what I mean. It just looks choppy and bad, especially full screen. In Windows, it looks great. I can find no explanation for the difference except that it either has something to do with ATI graphics, or lack of hardware acceleration, or both. But for me, flash looks bad in most if not all distros.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's been happening since before acceleration, at least according to most complaints I've found over time. For me personally, it's been going on since I first started playing with Linux seriously, and that was PCLOS 2009. What I tend to see is the same choppiness, audio issues, numerous crashes and just overall poor performance. Not that Flash has ever been called a beautiful performer on any OS, but that's neither here nor there.

Edit: I've experienced this with both ATI and NVidia systems.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't see any difference @ YouTube on two PCs with both Ubuntu 11.04 and Win 7 on them. One is my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop which I bought in June 2009 and the other is a recently "assembled" brandless PC.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that's interesting... I was assuming it was just ATI. My linux days go back to 2006 or so, and I honestly can't remember how it was before this machine, which I got in 2007. PCLOS was my first distro back then. All I do know is that there is no comparison between flash in Win and linux on my current machine. That's one of several reasons why I never stuck with linux on a permanent basis.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Maybe I need your hardware.... :)

Try full screen too, and see if it still holds up well in linux.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

PCLOS was my first too. I wish it were just an ATI issue, I'm becoming less confident that ATI will ever work flawlessly in Linux though. But anyway, I suppose we should steer this back in the direction of the original discussion.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm watching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pN8OccsbPA

For "full screen", I right-clicked on the video and chose "pop-up" and then maximized it. Sorry, it looks pretty decent to me. Maybe I'm not good at spotting the degradation. I also don't see that many complaints on the Mint or Ubuntu forums to justify generalizing.

And this is on my laptop which has not been modified or souped up in any way.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I can't tell why it's so fantastic, or should I say great ;)

Only that it runs so smooth compared to the other browser makes it kind of fantastic in my eyes. It never crash
    (Unless the Flash Player plugin screws up)
    And it's never slow, idk it just works hour after hour.....

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.