Chrome 13.0.782.107 released !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by abu shofwan, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i am using the new portable version.

it seems faster than the previous major stable portable release.

i like the built-in PDF printer; it means i can uninstall the PDF printer i was using.
    one less app i have to worry about and update. ;)

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Mhm. Adobe's reader is insecure and bloated. Chrome's is very secure.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And extensions that actually work :p

I thought Reader X was doing pretty good with their new sandbox model? Last I tried it it loaded up and read PDF files pretty quickly. Right now I'm back with PDF-Xchange, I've always liked it (I don't install the browser plugin and turn javascript off in the program, so it should be fairly secure too). Both are better than Reader 9 which I'm still seeing in a lot of Linux distros :D

Edit: More on topic, that bug (maybe intentional bug at this point?) is still there, the one I spoke of a bit back that wouldn't delete your data even if you told it too on browser shutdown.

4. Hungry Man

Chrome's extensions work very well, it's just that adblocking/proxy extensions don't.

The sandbox for Reader is a great step forward but it's been bypassed and it's still heavily targeted whereas Chrome's has not been bypassed and has not been targeted.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Any step forward for Adobe is a great one, lol.

6. Hungry Man

I definitely agree. They were taking the wrong approach by constantly patching. Nothing wrong with patching but it's an endless game and the hacker always wins. Best to implement security measures that take exploits into account.

7. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

its pretty DAMN fast in XP but not in win7 o_O

I have no extension either XP and win7. any thoughts ?

8. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Re: Chrome 13.0.782.107 released!

So much for the help, it doesn't work today :(
    I guess we'll have to wait till they fix it. Have in mind that there are others too
    http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/05/featured/youtube-download-extension-chrome.html
    None of them works today

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Re: Chrome 13.0.782.107 released!

Spooky but true! I'm trying the Fox now. Will post here.

10. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

It works again! :cool: :cool: :cool:

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Mmk, so after a few days of running v13 stable, Chrome is back to hating me again. This time I have all new problems to report, like solid grey pages instead of websites (when moments earlier said websites worked fine), the "Instant" feature is also no so instant. In fact, and I found I wasn't the only one, Instant is acting like it's mental. You start typing and the more you type, the slower the browser response is. A few words in the Omnibox and Chrome goes to its knees and has to be forced shut down.

If you're going to ask, yes, I've reinstalled it and I even went extension-less to try and investigate. Overall page-rendering seems to have slowed considerably as well. I even went so far as to shut off all security programs (EMET as well), but nothing changed. So all I can think is that whatever Google did between the Beta and Stable, fried Chrome. Any ideas?

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I certainly don't mean to imply anything negative about your post but do you think that the issues you are seeing are really "general"? Why would Google release a majorly broken stable?

I've been off Chrome for a while and can't be of practical help but have you looked at the Chrome help forum that pops up when you look at "help" under the wrench?

I used to be active there some months ago, and found that the forum was quite helpful (with the regular sprinkling of trolls and fanbois).

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey Vasa, no I don't think they would "try" to release something broken. But the problems I face do seem to be affecting a good number of people, especially the Instant/Omnibox issue. I've been off and on the forums over there, and Google is aware of at least the box issue. Hopefully it'll get worked out.

Edit: As another test, I ran the latest Chromium build (v15 Dev 95760), and it too has the issue of pages not displaying (though they are not grey, but blank white pages).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Lucky number. Anyhow, if only the interface is customizable, and about:flags is more comprehensive.

16. Hungry Man

Interface customizations will come eventually but they're likely very far down on the list of things they want to get done.

Chrome is at a significant disadvantage... other browsers have 5x the development time that Chrome has had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.