Choosing The Right Combination!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

i've been reading articles, reviews and posts all over te net for days. but after all that excessive research, i couldn't figure it out.
    now, i have standalone antivirus (with antispyware protection, and realtime protection for av is on) + an internet security suite with firewall in use and antispyware in use (and av not in use which i've disabled, for i'm using the standalone av) + (for extra layer of protection) another antimalware with realtime protection + winpatrol.
    what other security software out of the ones below can i choose to strenghten my protection that will work in harmony with the ones above and at the same time without slowing down my system, no system peformance impact, or at least minimal impact? and why, please? i can't see the difference between them CLEARLY. and, please, i don't wanna have any redundant, unnecessary ones to slowdown my system. here they are:

defensewall hips, sandboxie, geswall, prevx, zonealarm forcefield, safespace, malware defender, bufferzone, virtual box. (don't take into account, if any is discontinued, or not updated recently).

and, again, please, i want to keep my simultaneously in use security apps as minimal as possible. but also want to get the highest protection possible. i guess, you know what i mean.
    a very huge thanks in advance. salutes.

2. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

I've been trying to find the perfect combo for two years now and my current setup is the lightest I've managed to achieve.

I have to admit though I have tweaked XP quite considerably to achieve this though, I've audited my services to produce optimal performance.

You can trial Vipre for 15 days, SandBoxIE and EQSecure are free.
    Try it and see.

:thumb:

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

This setup is light and pretty good protection to boot. Sandboxie, TF (level 3) and Avast Home (Standard Shield Only on Normal). The best part they are all free and offer real good protection. I have this combo running on WinXP Pro PC's and Vista Home PC's and using either Firefox 3.1 beta or IE 8 RC. No problems and fast browsing!

Ice

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Well you have including winpatrol(i'm not sure about free/paid differences) 4 realtime antimalware scanners.No one except your PC can tell if it's already too much .And only you and what you are doing while on the PC can tell if from the list you mentioned some will be useful.
    From the list you described :sandboxie , zonealarm forcefield, safespace(discontinued):are in the same category.Some threats came from surfing ,the above applications virtualize the browsing session(pottential malware that comes from drive by downloads,bwowser exploit is gone when you empty the sandbox).
    Sandboxie is my favourite from these as it can be used for running other applications inside it,keeping the windows registry untouched.Also the paid version can force folders/removable drives(other pottential cause of infection) to run sandboxed(isolating pottential malware).Sounds useful but if u use Firefox +No Script and don't use usb than you are not in much of a need for it from a security point of view,although the fact that it doesn't allow modification to windows registry ,and that you can install other applications sandboxed,speaks of how useful it can be.Also if u are going to give it a try make sure u read the FAQ or other threads here(there are tons on wilders) or visit it;s forum.
    Other great favourite of mine is Defense Wall .Simple and powerful .It protects the zones/applications(browser,p2p downlods,removable drives,email clients etc) that can be used by malware to infiltrate your PC.
    All the pottential application that you've mentioned are somewhat different that your current installed ones as you've seen yourself .I mentioned only about Defense Wall & Sandboxie becouse they are my favourites and easy to use IMO if u read the FAQ,all others can be more or less useful to you and i'm sure other members can tell you more regarding each .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.