Choosing between Fortinet, McAfee & WebWasher AV Gateway?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by libaikbar, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libaikbar

libaikbar Registered Member

I am contemplating recommending the purchase of an anti-virus gateway and am undecided between three products, namely Fortinet's FortiGate, McAfee's Secure Internet Gateway and SecureComputing's WebWasher. I would like comments/experiences about the three, and possibly reasons why I should opt or avoid any of them. My own reasoning so far has not yielded much:

Fortinet's pricing makes it extremely attractive and is MUCH lower than the other two. Whilst not the best, the product is getting good results in AV comparisons. The main worry is the extremely poor rating it got in the heuristics tests, with all its FPs.

McAfee's SIG is slightly cheaper than WebWasher and in general McAfee gets good scores in AV comparisons. Main worry here is that I get impression that McAfee is slow to scan when compared to many others and that would be bad, particularly if device is used to scan HTTP traffic.

WebWasher appears to get excellent results in most AV comparisons, with the impression being that its use of the AVIRA engine being the reason for this. Its main drawback is the hefty price tag.

thanks..

2. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Whatever you do, just don't get Fortinet or you will be bothered by it flagging everything with its extremely paranoid heuristic.

3. libaikbar

Everyone seems to blast Fortinet for their over aggressive heuristics. But is it such a bad AV product, otherwise?

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think for a gateway/server product, id still choose fortigate

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

The gateway flavour should have paranoid heuristics. But I'm surprised no one mentioned Trend Micro. Anyway from the given choices, I'd choose FortiGate.

6. libaikbar

Trend Micro appear to have only the IGSA appliance capable of acting as a combined AV gateway for SMTP & HTTP. However, it appears that it is directed primarily at small to, at best, medium traffic site.

So, it seems that Fortinet has its share of fans after all :).

7. joter

joter Registered Member

I have also the same opinion.
    Strong recommendation is to change the configuration for the client side. (Forticlient Antivirus)

Regards
    joter

8. libaikbar

Not too sure I understood part about client side. A different AV product from the three mentioned above is used on the clients, if that's what you're referring to.

9. joter

joter Registered Member

Yes, but it's using the same engine. You have to get rid of the paranoid heuristics.

Regards
    joter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.