<Choose Automatically> - remove standard servers?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by webyourbusiness, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Is there a way to remove the standard list of servers from an enterprise installation?

I'm trying to work out a way to load balance the updates from an installation across two or more servers, which will all be local mirrors - machines inside the organization will be setup to use these mirrors, but rather than have multiple builds of the config, one updating from seach local mirror, I wanted to just enter all the relevent mirrors as local update servers and leave them as "<Choose Automatically>" - and let NOD32 take care of the balancing - however, if we do that, the existing regular (eset owed) servers are in there, and if those servers are part of the rotation, they will cause un-necessary traffic which is bound to fail (because the username/password will not be entered into the workstations).

The other solution I thought of was to use a named update server - such as:

nod32update.mydomain.com - and enter a second A-name record in the DNS servers - ie, to use DNS as a means of balancing.

Anyone got any thoughts on how-else to accomplish this?

cheers

Greg

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Greg,

you must use a primary and secondary profile with different local update servers to achieve this.

3. webyourbusiness

ok - can you have more than 2 - like 4 or more?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Nope, you can specify only one primary and one secondary update profile. However, you can create more update tasks, each using a different prim/sec update profile.

5. webyourbusiness

ok - thanks Marcos, it's not close to what I want - I think it will be easier to do it via DNS then, profiles management is not my preferred means, and just offering a primary with a secondary fail-over isn't going to balance at all on mirrors. Using a second task for every second update doesn't really help either - the office I'm thinking of has power-off each night, so between 0855 and 0905, all machines get booted - this would mean all machines would update from primary, an hour later, all update from secondary and the flip back - that's not really balanced either. Oh well - DNS it is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.