Chocolatey: software package manager for Windows with over 2,000 unique packages (free)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrBrian, Oct 6, 2014.

1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://betanews.com/2013/03/20/chocolatey-uses-powershell-command-line-to-keep-software-up-to-date/:
    Home page: https://chocolatey.org/.

2. MrBrian

From ChocolateyGUI:

3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Hmm. You know, last year I probably would have said this was awesome and seriously overdue; but now I'm not sure I see the point.
    - Windows is already a pretty complete software distribution
    - Dependency problems are very rare unless you're compiling stuff
    - EXE and MSI installers pretty much handle things themselves
    - A lot of server and workstation stuff wouldn't typically be in the repo anyway
    - You still need to handle lots and lots of proprietary software, which is often specialized and irreplaceable

What's missing from this picture IMO isn't a unified package manager for just installing stuff, but a scripting language for automating tedious tasks, including installation. I'm not a Windows sysadmin though, so I actually have no idea whether Windows has anything filling that role.

(Batch scripts look pretty quirky and limited, VBScript seems more like the Windows equivalent of Perl, and Powershell more like Python or some other object-oriented scripting language, but really I don't know. I'd be interested in comments on this from Windows admins.)

Edit: not as if Windows has a dearth of scripting languages though. Even stuff like Node.JS and PHP can be used for administrative scripting tasks...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. MrBrian

From Boxstarter:

5. Countryboy15

Countryboy15 Registered Member

So, this is just a Linux-like repository for Windows/ Not too bad of an idea if you leave out all of the security issues. I am quite alright doing it the old-fashioned way though.

6. MrBrian

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. MrBrian

From Get some packages with Microsoft OneGet:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.