ChkDsk

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have a Windows XP Pro PC that is about 6 months old. Today, for the first time, the PC performed a chkdsk operation on bootup when I turned on the PC. The last shutdown of the PC appeared to be a normal shutdown.

What problem(s) could have caused this chkdsk operation? I check the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. and everything appears to be OK.

Thank you.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you had a look in the event viewer to see if anything is mentioned there?

3. TheKid7

The System Event Viewer showed a statement something like 'ntfs file system corrupt....use chkdsk' about 20 minutes before I last shutdown the PC. What could have caused this?

Thank you.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. TheKid7

I just got my second chkdsk run on this PC. In the Event Viewer it showed:

Event ID 55:
    "The files system structure on disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run chkdsk utility on C:"

What are the odds that it may be the hard drive? There is a nice hard drive (1TB) on sale today. The S.M.A.R.T. does not show any problems, but it is my understanding that the S.M.A.R.T. reading only shows something wrong about 10% of the time when a hard drive is failing.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

6. TheKid7

I check the Event Viewer and I got another "The files system structure on disk is corrupt and unusable......."

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You are not using rollback rx or EAZ-fix by any chance are you? I got the same error messages when I installed rollback.

8. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

9. TheKid7

No.

I could make a wild speculation that it may be related to Sandboxie 3.35 Beta. I looked on Sandboxie's forum and only found one reference to something similar but my problem may not be related to Sandboxie Beta.

10. TheKid7

I ran the surface scan with HDTune and no errors were detected. The RAM check with Microsoft's Memory Diagnostics also cam up clean.

11. MerleOne

1/ Could you try to open a dos command (execute then type cmd then enter), then type :
    chkdsk /f /r c:
    answer yes when windows ask you to perform this at boot time.

2/ Try to install a Microsoft tool call UHPClean, it helps windows close session and XP cleanlier.

3/ Can you recall what are the last software you installed before the problem started to occur ?

4/ Do you use a defragmenting tool ? If yes, which one ?

5/ Did you recently change or upgrade you antivirus ?

12. TheKid7

1. Not done yet.
    2. Not done yet.
    3. Sandboxie 3.35.xx Beta (Paid). I have been periodically upgrading to new Beta versions. I think that once I uninstalled and reinstalled SuperAntiSpyware (latest version).
    4. No defragmentation for about 3 weeks. I use the built in Windows XP Defragmenter when I do a defragmentation.
    5. No changes or upgrades for several months.

I got another ntfs error today. Several things happened around that time. I downloaded (while sandboxed) two files, one exe and one zip. I accidentally chose open instead of save to disk for the zip file. I then closed my zip utility (IZArc) and re-downloaded the zip file, saving to disk. These downloads were very close (+/- 2 minutes) to the time shown in the event viewer for the ntfs error. A short time later I ran the downloaded exe file (Image for Windows 2.26a) and performed the update of my Image for Windows to the latest version.

When I spotted the ntfs error after the above operations I ran Check Disk in Windows (right clicking on the C: drive and choosing Check Disk under the Tools Tab). I ran Check Disk with none of the options checked and no errors were given at the end of the Check Disk operation. The chkdsk ran on the next restart.

13. MerleOne

I also have sandboxie v3.34, not a beta. Could you downgrade to this version ? I never had such problems with sandboxie.

Also, could you use the utility described on http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...ted-or-modified-files-and-installed-software/
    and post the hijackthis.log that is created in the process. Maybe someone will spot something odd.

Lastly, if this is a H/W problem, this could come from many reasons, some very difficult to track down : a faulty HDD controller, chipset, whatever, etc. But this may also come from a faulty power supply or mains. Is your PC connected to a UPS or to mains ? Try using the other solution.

Also, you could also identiying if your HDD is causing this : try cloning it with 'copywipe' (freeware found on terabyteunlimited.com - alternatively try HDCLone freeware version) to another HDD, place the new HDD and see if the problem returns. This can be very easy or complicated, depending on your configuration. If you need directions for this, let us know.

14. MerleOne

Re: ChkDsk (solved!)

Hi again,

It's solved : the culprit is sandboxie. A lot of users of the latest version 3.36, including myself, have exactly the same problem. Sandboxie developer is looking into it, a new version is supposed to solve this. I have decided myself to revert to V3.34 which is stable and has no such problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.