Chkdsk problem "Cannot open volume for direct access"

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Baldrick, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Nope, I wanted to defrag my hard drive so RB Rx was uninstalled (although I do plan to try an RB Rx suspend for defrag which is a new option in v9...but not just yet. ;)

Having said that given that chkdsk can launch automatically it must be capable of running with RB Rx installed and no issues. o_O I might see what HDS have to say about this.

Cheers

:D

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You must be kidding me. The defrag switch a new option?
    It existed on ALL the 8.1 versions of RollBackRX and EAZ-FIX.

Panagiotis

3. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Ahhh...that's ok then :) .

Yes, it can run ok with RB installed but you don't want to do this from a recovery CD as the RB driver won't be active and so it won't know about any changes made to the disk.

Graham

4. Baldrick

Gotya! Thanks! But unfortunately it was the only option and as I had uninstalled RB Rx it should have been OK. I will try soon a defrag with RB Rx installed and compare the differences, etc.

5. Baldrick

Not according to Horizon DataSys. From the discussions on their forum there were apparently plans to provide this fucntionality by way of a special version that users would have to request but these never materialised. The same concept was discussed in terms of v9 when it was launched and then we were advsied that there was infact a command line option already available...so it may be that it was there all the time but that very, very few persons knew about it.

Any road...we do know and so can use it.

:D

6. pandlouk

Well, either Horizon DataSys are lying about it or EAZFIX Sollutions (the developer company of the software) does.
    http://www.eazsolution.com/kb/article.php?id=099

ps. For the record, I happen to have copies of all the 4 versions (updates) of RollbackRX 8.1 (the 3 normal and the 1 defrag) and they all have the "shieldcmd /defrag" command switch incorporated.

Panagiotis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  7. Baldrick

I do not doubt what you are saying. It may not be a case of lying but rather that either not everyone within HDS knew about the option or that the 'special version that needs to be requested by the customer' that allows the command switch was not universally known to the user community or publicised by HDS to them.

Either way I think that the availability of the command line switch in v9 is now much better know or at least to those who frequent the HDS forum (as I do).

I will see if I can find out from there. :D

8. pandlouk

Actually the info about the defrag version and the defrag switch was given in their old forum, by the same persons that now say that is a new feature in 9.
    As I said that info was no big secret. And if HorizonDatasys mods did not have the bad habbit to delete helpfull threads/posts you would have read that the command switch is included in the normal version too, since I had posted it in their old forum and I also mentioned it in wilders.
    Here you will find that Nick had provided that info to fce back on September 15th, 2007...
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1077389&postcount=66
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1077416&postcount=70

In my vocabulary this is lying! ;)

9. Baldrick

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Interesting but still not, in my book, lying. Rather being evasive.

I shall have to ask Nick about this and see what he says.

I have tried the option in v9 and did not find it particularly good and so at prsent I will uninstall/defrag/reinstall as my first preference and perhaps try the option agian on the next release. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.