China targets own operating system to take on likes of Microsoft, Google

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dogbiscuit, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/24/china-technology-idUSL3N0QU07420140824

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I will tell you one thing, I won´t be using it. Windows for life! :D

3. guest

guest Guest

Ha ha ha, yet another very predictable action done by China's government and corporations. :argh: Well I guess we all have a new OS to hack. :ninja:

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't see why not. This is the exact response I'd take after the NSA revelations and America's economy is going to suffer dearly for it.

5. guest

guest Guest

I might be going to get troubles by saying this, but the characterisation of Chinese corporations' business model prioritises profit far more beyond quality, and this is quite in the extreme level. They will sell their products much cheaper than the mainstream products, but those products usually will break very soon.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'd give it a try. They couldn't possibly make such a borkfest of it as Microsoft has of Windows. Virtually everything I own was made in China anyway.

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I'd rather continue to use Linux at home than a chinese-made OS.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

They could design a descent OS it might not be that good at first (it takes MS how long after a new OS comes out to roll out a version that everybody can agree on) that is if the Government stays out of it.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's just going to be a roll your own Linux distro. That's it nothing more. I won't be surprised if somewhere in the GUIs or elsewhere the underlying distro will be written & not replaced by ChinaOS or whatever.

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

That's what I'm feeling too. Something along the lines of North Korea's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

11. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Given the way China censors citizens I'd be weary of any OS they released. I'd be more than willing to try it, but it'd take lots of testing before I actually considered it as a replacement even if no usability issues arose. I'm all for a viable replacement along the line tho! It is however likely that it is a linux/bsd mod rather than unique.

12. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I don't see exactly what value can come from an OS built under the supervision of the Chinese government. In conclusion, I wouldn't touch it.

13. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

It may end up being for the Chinese market only and no doubt there will be a lot of state control imposed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear them eventually announce it the official OS for all systems in China, so all products sold there would require this OS be installed. If this were to happen what would Apple and all the other foreign companies do? What would Lenovo do?

14. guest

guest Guest

That's actually the most viable scenario indeed. But they could be developing a new OS from scratch. Somehow Chinese government and corporations are capable of doing anything in 21st century.

15. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

In my opinion MS, the tech giants and the US Government have been conspiring together for well over a decade to ensure they can compromise our privacy whenever they wish. It was only a matter of time before it came to a head.

16. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

I'm not Chinese/Russian/German, but the first two nations actually put effort into R&D and develop some great talents. Not to mention they have a very good education system according to international tests, so the brainpower is there. Just remember that Japanese products were once what Chinese ones are now, but then they would go on to improve their business model/manufacturing methods, and in turn, their products. Similarly, by your logic, almost all Russian stuff must be shoddy just because they aren't exactly famous for the quality of their physical products, but actually they're also an intelligent people with the know-how to develop good software (or even be a hacker) unlike say, the overrated "superior German engineering", which is plagued by over-engineering and an inability to develop decent hi-tech stuff (reliable software as well as smartphones, computers etc).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Industrial espionage does not require a huge investment in capital, brainpower, innovation and/or a high level education. R&D costs get recouped when the product goes to market, however when there is no R&D overhead, the high quality product hits the market at a significantly lower price. Why do costly R&D when you can acquire it with a little spying here and there? Violate and ignore international laws with impunity and show indignation when outed. It works!

18. guest

guest Guest

@Inside Out
    Yes, the engineers are very capable of making quality products. But if the company (and government) who provide all the resources have profit far beyond anything else in mind, the engineers' skills can't do much. No matter how good a chef is he can't make a good meal from rotten ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  19. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

I do not think you got my point. We're talking about a piece of software, not some kitchen knife. Even a small and formerly-unremarkable vendor can copy and distribute their products to anywhere they like unlike physical products, which means one good vendor with both talent and ethics is enough to make a difference. Incompetence is much harder to fix than lack of ethics, because it's more obvious to everyone while it's very difficult to know what you don't know, especially in innovative software industry. I've brought up Russia and Germany because the former manages to succeed in it despite the "system" you're talking about, while it's the other way around in the latter's case.

20. guest

guest Guest

Unfortunately, you also don't get my point. It doesn't matter if the engineers/developers have good skills. China's government wants the products to be made as instant as in a fast-food restaurant. Then they will throw them all into mass productions. There's virtually no quality control. The OS might have so many bugs and the engineers/developers don't have enough time and funding to fix them because of the pressures by their employers. China's government and corporations are cheapskate jerks who really don't want to spend a penny at all yet they demand a billion dollars each day to be ready no matter what happens. They don't even give a damn about current stock prices.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  21. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Chinux :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.