Child monitoring?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Decapad, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hi - my wife wants to be able to monitor all my daughters pc activity. What she types in any word processing program, websites visits & what is typed in those visits. Can anyone recommend a good program for this? I'd prefer a freeware program if possible. Also - can it be running "stealthily" so it is not detected by the child in any way? Thanks so much! Deca ;)

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Decapad

Thanks Cudni - v helpful! My best, D:)

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo spector pro is prob best out there. though any of these do run a bit heavy on the system so make sure it has the resources to run it okay.

5. Decapad

Hello again - I tried a few of these. Some that claimed were free - turned out to be trials. A couple others set off all my Anti - spyware alarms. Another was deleted by Windows on a reboot... so I'm batting 1000. I'd really prefer a free program if at all possible - and someone who has some hands on experience with the program - because I'm seeing this software can be a bit tricky. I need it to be stealthy & record everything.
    When your done recommending a program - can you fix my overpriced, 1 month out of warranty, won't turn on anymore TV too :doubt: ? Thanks, D;)

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No surprise it would set off the Anti Spware alarms. They are spying.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Exactly. I would echo this sentiment and put extra emphasis on it as well....

8. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I will heartily recommend - Norton Online Safety.
    Find it here - https://onlinefamily.norton.com/familysafety/loginStart.fs

It does not monitor every keystroke but is an effective content filter and web activity monitor. You can review what you child did online from anywhere as it uploads all statistics to its own website, accessible from phone browsers too. You can do complete management of the sites visited from the web portal.
    It will also report if the child creates a new Windows account to bypass the software, or boots into Safe Mode.
    Best of all, its completely free. No catch whatsoever. I have found it to be working correctly with MSE and Antivir Personal.

If you would like some screenshots, send me a PM.

9. Decapad

Hi Ravi - thank you. Couple questions - does this run stealthily? Does it include texting & word processing programs? My best,
    D;)

10. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I don't know why you need a spying program (I hope not without, a good reason) but if the child ever understands that is being monitored and in a stealthy way, will find other ways to circumvent it.

How do you plan to monitor it's outhouse activities, it's sms and ems and the netcafe computers or the school and friends computers?

Be sincere with the child and make it understand the traps and the bad things of internet and the world. This is the only way to protect it.

Trust is a gift that is gained and is only given once.

Panagiotis

edit: A family monitor/filter like norton is better and helps to protect the childs, and when you make them understand it they usually do not have any problem with those.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@Decapad

I can sympathize with a parent whose child is engaging in activities that do not promote anything good. A friend of mine had a 13 yr old daughter who was caught up in texting and picting things unappropriate for her age. I helped him install and use Spector Pro. You do have to pay for it, but it does a good job of monitoring everything that is going on. It, like all of them, will hook into the system, thus most scanners will find it as spyware/keylogging and attempt to neuter it.

Many here, as in past discussions, don't believe invading personal privacy is the best method. I would tend to agree with that, for a mature person or even for children if what you are doing is simply spying.

However, without going into the types of topics that are not allowed here (religion, politics, etc), I am responsible for the upbringing of my children, and would not hesitate for a moment to install such a tool if needed. It would be my last resort, hoping that trust alone (and a childs respect for thier parents) would be enough, but it is not always the case.

Anyways, trying free software IMO won't come close to what Spector can do. I do consider the Spector software to be the best, but also despise how it intrudes so deeply into the system, and the burden it puts on everything. Perhaps you are only worried that your child will be viewing inappropriate material, in which case a filter might be all you need. If you are concerned that your child is sending inappropriate pictures etc, it is a real concern. Everyone knows that what you send privately either might end up somewhere for the world to see or that the person you are sending them to might be, shall we say, not what they seem. Again, filters might be all you need, or just programs that restrict activity. Using a full blown spyware tool like Spector, well, it is going to show you everything. Only you can make the call if that is really needed in your situation.

Good luck.

Sul.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Which Windows version do you own?

I don't know about XP, but with Vista and 7 you have parental controls, and you could also make use of Windows Live Family Safety, which will work together (will also turn it on) with Windows Parental Controls.

You need to make sure you have a strong password in place.

It also allows you to block websites you wish.

As others have mentioned, conversation with your daughter is the first step.

Link to understand it better: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Protecting-your-kids-with-Family-Safety

Download: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials?os=other

13. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I am yet to find a simpler to set up solution. Thats one of the resons I recommend Norton Online Safety.

Regarding ethics, let me give you an example. The child on whose system this software is installed is very much into Facebook. One day he typed the URL as faceboob. Its a small mistake, can be made by anyone. But in the absence of a suitable solution, he would have been presented with the crap that site was about. Norton springed into action and saved the day. Its true that children can always use other PCs or phones to evade monitoring, but I am at peace knowing that I did my best. Norton also goes one step further by actually letting the child know that he/she is being monitored. Yes, you read that right. Its not a stealth spying program. And no it does not monitor Word Processing programs like Notepad and Word. It monitors Web and IM activity and blocks everything you configure it to. Monitoring everything that the kids type is heresy to say the least. Everyone neeeds a private space, they do too. Theres a video over at the norton site, take a look at it, you will understand what I am trying to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.