Checking others IP

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iwod, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

This seems like a silly question to ask on a secuirty forum. But is it possible to check someone 's IP on a forum?

With my limited knowledge i think it is "no" apart from you are a forum admin. But sometimes you see someone posting like "he" has double account and show both account points to same IP. Or somthing like "he" is from xxxxx. showing his IP points to which country... etc.

How is that done?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Speaking of Wilders only....your IP is not publicly known or displayed....and yes the Admin\s are the only one's privy to this address.

As for other Forums....there are indeed Forums where ones IP is shown under their Avatar....or in the case of a Guest posters....in the general area where an Avatar would be.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

It's possible, of course, that someone not too "swift" could put that info in their own sig or "From". But (as you've probably already seen with email addys) I'm sure one of the mods would quickly spot that and remove it, leaving a note that it's not a very brilliant thing to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.