Cheap recommendations for state college library with 150 computers?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by RedKeltLibrarian, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedKeltLibrarian

RedKeltLibrarian Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I've read several threads but I wasn't sure if any were truly applicable to my paper. I'm a college student writing a paper, where I am to make some recommendations for a security software similiar in function to Window SteadyState. I'm not a tec wiz, and not a total fool, but this assignment is over my head though I'm still giving it the old college try.

In the scenario, I need to recommend security software similiar to Window SteadyState. The state college library has 150 computers and price is the largest concern but not the only one.

The software I'm considering is Deep Freeze, Fortes Grand Clean Slate, Windows Vista/7 File and Registry Virtualization Computing, and Smart Shield with Smart Control/Stand Alone. Can you tell me which one is the best taking into account the price concerns and it being over 100 public use computers?

I would really appreciate any advice you could give.

Thank you for your time,

Kurt S.

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Try Wondershare Time Freeze (2.0). Rock solid and do its job perfectly. I have used Returnil solution too, but there are still few bugs need to be fixed. Try to avoid Deep Freeze.

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Interesting find.
    Do you know if it's been tested against malware/rootkits attacks?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Deepfreeze is used in alot of businesses,example video:

-http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=451883658299-

Not only that,but myself and others have used Deepfreeze with no issues whatsoever. I personally used it for 2 years,never once did it not perform the way it's advertised. I've also used Returnil 2008,and ShadowDefender,which are very simliar to Deepfreeze and work as advertised as well. I tried Wondershare Time Freeze 2.0 for a short time period,and it also works as advertised.

IMO,theres alot of these types of programs,just a matter of personal preferance.

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I would also suggest DeepFreeze for a library. I also think that choosing the DeepFreeze Standard and volume pricing for "Education" the license for each computer (total of 150) could be around $12. Best thing would be to ask by e-mail for a quote.

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Faronics offer educational volume pricing, but not effective against MBR/TDSS rootkits. They are aware of the problem (acknowledged it via emails), but are not serious to solve the problem.
    I have personally tested Wondershare Time Freeze (2.0) against few malware samples and different rootkits (including TDSS) and it proved its worth. Moreover, it also has MBR protection + folder protection options. WTF can also use RAM as buffer. It works very stable with Windows 7 x86 as well as x64 (personally tested with different configurations).

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

We are talking about really a few instances of malware, nothing even close to what even top notch Antivirus miss in terms of new malware. It is interesting that not long ago WTF failed the same malware test as DeepFreeze:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276210

This malware is commonly stopped by most antivirus, and Faronics offers a dedicated application to complement DeepFreeze. Unfortunately,they don't say how much does it cost. I don't currently use DeepFreeze as I prefer Shadow Defender for private use, so I'm only suggesting DF as IMO it is ideal for public computers, they have been around for a long time, and are actively updating their applications on a regular basis. WTF might be also a great product, I haven't tested it though.

8. RedKeltLibrarian

Thank you Boyfriend, Hugger, Boost, and Osaban for your responses

I know for my paper/fake college library, I need a program that will restore the computer to a prior configuration and will allow the adminstrators to block regular users from mucking with the system.

I know Winsteady does that. I'm pretty sure HDGuard does it. I don't believe WTF does it but I'm not sure.

9. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

10. RedKeltLibrarian

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know how long it would take.

12. RedKeltLibrarian

It was a long shot, but I needed to try. Don't know how I'll estimate labor/training cost for my paper.

13. RedKeltLibrarian

I did some research and found out the QuasiSteadyState of Windows 7 doesn't offer Disk Protection. Based on my limited understanding, that's a deal killer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  14. dax123

dax123 Registered Member

Hey, how about Comodo Time Machine?
    it sometimes ends up with MBR corruption (and lets you down), but it's absolutely free.
    It does support scheduling, snapshot feature, retaining data after reboot, while DF and WTF doesn't support it.
    it might going to support rootkit prevention since they promised that.
    you can try CTM 2.8, 2.9 sux it's slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.